Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Random Story

With this year’s edition of the World Series of Poker having already commenced and continuing on for the next month or so, I always pause and think how much fun it would be to head up there again to play.  I've only been twice, and don’t have anything to show for it, but the experience is second to none.  Anyone passionate about poker should make the visit.

But thinking of my last visit four years ago got me thinking about an incident that occurred at a Denny’s one of the days I was there.  Not sure why I thought about it because it certainly isn't a huge deal…anyway, here’s what happened:

Like I said previously…Denny’s!  I was having a late lunch and wanted to go somewhere cheap, so Denny’s got the call.  The restaurant was completely empty, save for two girls who were chatting to each other at one of the tables.  There were a lot of tables that needed cleaning and still had dirty plates on them.

With only two other people in the entire restaurant, the host (very friendly, btw) sat me down DIRECTLY BESIDE THEM.  This was odd.  I’m sure they wanted to have a little privacy as you can hear pretty much everything they said to each other, seeing the restaurant was completely empty and quiet.  But here’s the thing:  The two women were black.  Who cares?  Yes.  But I didn't want to come across as some sort of racist.   “Excuse me, can you sit me somewhere else?  The people beside me aren't from the master race”.  Now looking back, I’m sure if I said something along the lines of, “I would like to give these ladies some privacy; can you sit me at another table?” I’m sure everything would have been fine and nobody would think I was David Duke.  That’s not what I thought of saying at the time though, so I didn't say anything at all and we all sat there somewhat uncomfortably for the next 15 minutes or so before they got their bill.

Was I over-thinking the situation?  Probably.

And that’s the end of that story.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]