Thursday, July 28, 2011

I want to see this



Now THAT is an awesome movie poster. Plus the cast, director, subject matter...there haven't been too many films lately that I have labelled a "must" see, but Contagion definitely falls under that list.

The biohazard sticker on the yellow and black coloured one-sheet, with a simple rhyming off of major cities in the world (slightly uncool there's no Canadian city mentioned) brings instant tension to the film. You know there's a huge crisis at hand. You know it's worldwide. Plus there are awesome actors lined up to perform: Matt Damon, Kate Winslett, Jude Law, Lawrence Fishburne...plus directing is Steven Soderbergh, who did Traffic amongst other films (and by coincidence, a blu-ray that I'm currently watching on the laptop).


Hmmm...I see some similarities here. Hopefully, the goods will be delivered.

Comments:
Soderbergh is usually quite reliable even when it's fluffy subject matter (see: Ocean's 11/12/13); he usually sets the right tone and I like that he explores different genres. I haven't seen Solaris, though, so I'm not sure how he handles sci-fi thrillers. He has a free pass as far as I'm concerned for the one-two punch of Out of Sight and The Limey.

Maybe there are no Canadian cities included because we're a contagion-free zone? :)
 
Solaris is a movie I haven't seen, but heard so many bad things about it from my friends. I'm going to have to add it to my Zip list and watch it, I forgot Soderbergh directed it!
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]