Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Update This


What is it with Windows and updates?

No longer content with my 10" netbook computer, I opted to treat myself to a new laptop, taking advantage of the boxing days specials that were on the market. I settled on a HP model with a blu-ray player built in (nice!) and, after using XP for about 8 years, was looking forward to using an updated, ramped up operating system.

For the most part, there's nothing wrong with Windows 7. My only beef: updates.

Everytime I go to use the laptop, I'm either told there are updates to download, updates that need to be installed, or my computer is about to be restarted for the updates to take effect. Sometimes even a countdown timer pops up if you've clicked the "ignore" button enough so you can just, you know, use your computer, pretty much telling you it's time to download and reboot...or else!

Windows has been around since the 1990s, and I can't believe they still haven't figured out a way to have your laptop turn on without having to spend several minutes loading their operating system. And you would think there can be a way where updates can be sent to your PC and you can continue using your computer, without the need to turn it on and off again for the new downloads to take effect.

Of course, if they could just release the platform properly, getting it right the first time, there wouldn't be a need to get more "security" fixes in the first place.

But, that's how Windows rolls.

Comments:
I love Windows 7! I rarely have updates (maybe once a month) and my computer updates while I can still work and it doesn't make me restart right away. You made need to change your settings. The other thing, I am thinking is maybe your computer was intstalled with Windows 7 awhile ago and it has lots of updates. But i do agree why PC take forever to load is beyond me.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]