Thursday, October 07, 2010

When I Ceased to be Skinny...

My last years in high school and during university, I was tall and lanky. I was almost 6"3 tall and weighed just 170 lbs. The main reason was that I skipped meals frequently, and didn't enjoy desserts as much as I do now. My metabolism back then probably helped as well, but my love for chocolate and cake grew later in life and has been a detriment to my diet to say the least.

But I digress.

I can tell you the day where, by no means did I turn into a "fat" person per se, but definitely knew my skinny days were over.

Back in 1999, when I got my first full-time government job, they sent me to Toronto for about two months of training. The awesome thing about it was that, not only did I start getting paid my full salary just to train, but they gave me a very generous meal allowance while we were there. Every trainee got $10 for breakfast, $10 lunch, and $25 for dinner. $45, tax free, Monday to Friday, no receipts required.

So I ate out every day. Of course, I wouldn't spend $10 every day on breakfast but I loaded up on dinner, and that was my detriment.

My training group would usually end up going to The Keg every night we were there, and at the time I didn't discriminate what I ate. After dinner, there was this little cafe called Williams Pub that had a selection of about 30 or so cakes, so that was dessert. Every week, for two months...Keg and Kake.

When I had to drive into work for the first time after training was done, my pants felt a little tighter than normal. It was this belt I was sporting that was the problem! No matter, I can deal with it later. Time for my first day on the job. And then it happened: I sat down in the driver's seat of the car, only to see the button holding up my pants shoot right off and hit the dashboard of the car.

Just in time as I was about to head to work!

Turns out I had gained a full two inches in the size of my pants. Man oh man, too much too soon in T.O.! I just thought I'd go back to my regular size, but it never happened. Not that I made an effort or anything to do so, but that's the way the cards played out. And as for that first day of work, I couldn't change slacks since it was my only clean pair left, but luckily the belt managed to hold up my button-less pants so as I wouldn't be caught in too embarrassing a position.

I never got down to my 170lb fighting weight again.

Comments:
So what are you saying? You hate the Leafs?

:)

[SBP, you look good! You don't need to look like a teen.]
 
Ben, that is a funny story.
Alyce
 
Don't worry Nirm, I'm comfortable with my appearance while at the same time knowing I could probably stand to lose some pounds...not to 170 though, that'd be somewhat excessive!
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]