Thursday, October 14, 2010

Tricks of the Trade

A little over six weeks of being a dad, I've learned that being a father during the newborn stage is primarily learning how to keep your baby content to minimize the fussing and crying time.

It's just that easy! (I keed,I keed...)

Nothing keeps my Sophie-Anne more content then getting fed by Marie-Claude. But sometimes it seems that all she wants to do, so I suspect there are a few times when she's really not all that hungry when she fusses.

Some obvious solutions include giving her a soother (we started that about three weeks in) but a lot of times she isn't interested in it. So you have to try to experiment a little and try different things to calm her down. And this is what we discovered:

- Shaking a bottle of Tums will distract her
- Holding her while sprinting back and forth across a hallway keeps her happy (although I've stopped that since they say a baby should be a few months old before you start racing them)
- Holding her and walking in a square or circle works
- The noise of a bathroom fan holds her attention
- A car ride puts her to sleep every time
- A walk in the stroller is good for about 45 minutes
- After 10 minutes, she falls asleep if carried in a baby bjorn

She also loves taking a bath. But I'm all ears if you have other suggestions!!!

Comments:
Sounds like you guys have everything under control! Your list includes things I never thought to try!
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]