Friday, July 16, 2010

How to Save Big Bucks with Rogers



Believe me when I say this, every company and business trying to earn a buck want to charge you the maximum amount possible for their services. They have no interest in making sure you have enough money at the end of the day to pay the rent or buy the groceries. They want their cut, and then good riddance if you have to mortgage your house for the sixth time to get by.

But having said that, sometimes you DO have some power. Sometimes you can save a few bucks and still get the product or service you want. So I'd like to share with you how myself, SBP, saved some big $$$ with Rogers.

First, research what Bell or another provider will charge you for their cable, internet and telephone services or whatever service you have with Rogers that you want to save some money. As a first time customer, to draw you in, they're cutting their rates. Have this info handy when you give them a call.

So give Rogers a shout, and tell them you want to cancel your services. When they ask why, tell them your switching to whatever provider you found that offered a decent rate, a better rate than Rogers. Of course, if you're like me you don't really want to change. It's a PAIN in the A** to organize the installer to come in and set everything up (but maybe this is where I should put a disclaimer this may not work so buyer beware!).

Anyway, once you tell them you want out, they'll transfer you over to their cancellation department. This is where the people with the power to give you deals work. Now you MUST stick to your guns here. They'll ask you a few questions, maybe ask about the deal you have lined up. I have to be honest, I thought about hanging up here because the questions they asked made it look like they were, in fact, going through cancelling my services. The key is though, tell them you're cancelling, and even when it looks like they're going to cancel your account, stay on the phone until you hear those magic words, "What if we're able to match their offer?"

And be honest. Say yeah, I'd rather not switch! So by threatening to switch providers, my HD box is free for a year, and I got 30% off my cable, internet and telephone bills! And that's a fair amount of coin. Of course, a part of me is outraged. Why didn't this just give us this price to begin with? Ah, the joys of capitalism! In any case, if you're with Rogers, call them like I suggest and save some money. It's hard to come by these days.

Comments:
Yep, a friend once told me that when dealing with Rogers, immediately ask to be transferred to the "escalation" or "cancellation" department. As you wrote, that is where the people with the power to grant deals work. I believe the friend who gave me this piece of advice is constantly scoring deals and/or freebies with Rogers, despite being a longtime customer who is obviously not about to cut ties with the company.

I'm not sure how many times one can get away with this sort of action, as customer service reps definitely make notes on files (to which other reps can subsequently refer). HOWEVER! there is the classic argument that long-term customers in good standing should receive some sort of reward in recognition of their loyalty.

I can't defend Rogers as a whole, since I agree with you that they're looking out for number one/bottom-lining everything/worshiping the almighty dollar (etc etc), but I once had a really heartening experience with a Rogers customer rep. During a call which I had initiated to clarify a bill, she examined my wireless account and suggested a cheaper plan that offered greater options. Granted, switching plans meant renewing my contract with Rogers. This is something I probably could have fought, but didn't as -- like you -- I'm not really looking to jump to another provider.
 
I can't recall at anytime when a rep from a company you do business with took the time to call you up and say, "Hey,you're on this plan, but you should be on this plan because you'll save some money and still get the service you need." Your experience sounds like a unique one, and something that should be the norm in my opinion.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]