Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Front Row Ringside



The last time I followed the WWE extensively was about a decade ago. More times than not, when I do pay attention to it now, it's usually for the wrong reasons. Reading up on the latest deaths of pro wrestlers seems to be common place as time wears on. I still visit a handful of websites to read up on things, but it's mostly out of habit, and sometimes I even forget to do that.

But when a chance to see the WWE for a Smackdown! TV taping @ Scotiabank place presented itself, I couldn't turn it down. And I'm glad I went. The crowd was very energetic and the wrestlers put on a good show, and it reminded my of why I used to enjoy it: it was pure, mindless fun. And being so close to the action made you really appreciate the physicality of it all, as it does tend to get watered down somewhat watching it on television. One of my favourite momements was when the monster-sized Big Show, over 7 feet tall and 400 pounds, would get his World Champion opponent, Jack Swagger, up against the turnbuckle and bring his finger to his lips to shush the crowd. The audience did was they were told, and BOOM, a hard, open-handed slap against the chest of Swagger, who sold it like he got hit with a shotgun. The crowd sadistically approved and chanted "One more time!", which of course Show obliged, a big grin on his face knowing that he had the crowd in the palm of his hand.

Yup, for one evening at least, I enjoyed the antics of World Wrestling Entertainment. Too bad they don't come to town more often.

NEW PICTURE ADDED: See if you can spot SBP!


Comments:
SBP=Former blogger?

RBP
 
yeah - when are you going tp update your blog????
 
SBP is back. Guess I needed a recharge of the blog batteries before I got going again. How often I'll write...we'll see.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]