Sunday, April 25, 2010

What Can You Do?

Nights like Saturday remind you why some like keeping their expectations in check and default to being pessimistic and cautious: It minimizes the pain at least.

Reading some of the news articles about the Penguins' six game first round victory, they acknowledge the disappointment of Sens fans, but then go on to write they were the underdogs to begin with so all that happened was the expected result.

But after a gut-check triple overtime victory in game 5...then a 3-0 lead built by Ottawa by the mid-way point of game 6...what else could you think except this would be decided by a seventh and final game, and that it was a heart-breaker to lose it? Of course, I received an immediate text from my 10 day Sens fan Alex stating "ride that lead", poking fun at the defensive shell the Senators (and a lot of teams) fall into once they gain the upper hand, playing to protect the lead and just hold on to win. I never think that strategy is a good idea. It's hard for the other team to score goals when you're in their end to start with, and really, if your game plan had netted you three goals, why would you want to change to a different strategy?

So the nightmare began, three goals in a row and the game is heading to overtime. Pascal Leclaire was doing his best in goal and then the thought crossed my mind "Where would the Senators be if he started from the outset?" I guess I asked that question because Pittsburgh was applying so much pressure and it seemed the end was near for the Senators. And faster than you can recap the conversation I had with my fellow game-attendee Rick where we were wondering why the fourth line is on the ice in sudden-death overtime, the 4th straight Penguins goal is scored and it's over. The dream comeback against the defending champs is done and a long summer awaits for Ottawa and their fans.

There are some positives to take away from the series. Despite missing Kovalev, Michalek and Kuba, they still gave the reigning champs a good fight with some character and grit. Young Peter Regin played some tremendous hockey that hopefully will continue onto next season. Leclaire perhaps showed up what he's capable of with his solid performances in games 5 and 6. And Eric Karlsson, while he made one too many gaffes, logged a lot of minutes for a rookie and displayed a lot of poise and skill in accepting that responsibility. He's only going to get better.

And despite playing with a torn abominable muscle, the heart of the Senators, Daniel Alfredsson, still managed 8 points in 6 games.

I guess my hope of Daniel Alfredsson winning a Stanley Cup before he retires is becoming less and less likely as he's turning, by hockey standards, an ancient 38 years old this December as injuries and age are catching up with him. The Senators organization have some decisions to make this summer. Volchenkov is going to want a new big money contract. Jason Spezza's no trade clause kicks in July 1st, and some UFAs including Matt Cullen, Andy Sutton and Shean Donovan will need new contracts. There will be some new faces on the team to start the 2010-11 season, and with it of course, despite the high likelihood of disappointment, is hope.

Comments:
I'm all for being pessimistic if it's warranted... but not to protect against potential hurt when you team doesn't make it. I believe in going for it and truly giving into the excitement hope brings. To me it just feels more honest. I even think I hurt less post game six then I would have had I been pessimistic about their potential to win in the first place. I truly believe they could have done it. I believe those games could have gone either way. The refs compounded that notion for me.
Ultimately... how you look at it and choose to feel is just that... it's a choice. While I understand the pessimism... I felt better backing my team and believing in them.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]