Thursday, April 01, 2010

Slow Down Already



I know things become obsolete. I know when you buy the latest technological marvel, there's a shelf life to it and you normally can't purchase something with the idea it's going to last forever.

But as I flip through the latest Future Shop and Best Buy flyers and see the unveiling of 3D tvs, I wonder if it's ever going to end.

Maybe everyone out there doesn't really think it's that big a deal to have another HDTV offering on the market. But man, I shelled out some dough-ray-me for my TV that's just over two years old. And it's already considered out of date.

How long did tube televisions last? Once colour was introduced to TVs, the only thing that really changed were the sizes and number of channels available. And that was over the span of a few decades.

What's also frustrating for me is that while they unveil this wonderful 3D technology (which isn't cheap, a pair of glasses alone runs a couple of hundred bucks), they still can't figure out a way to send a full 1080p cable signal to these HDTVs, whether through satellite or coaxial cable lines.

As a result, I'm taking a pass on this 3D stuff. I've already paid a lot of money for my current TV as well as blu ray player, and I'm not junking it after a couple of years to enjoy the five movies that have been shot in 3D. Their just pushing this stuff too fast, and I think there's a chance it could backfire with slow sales if most people feel like me and they're tired of shelling out more money for this stuff.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]