Sunday, February 21, 2010

Random SBP Team Canada Thoughts


- Canada vs USA: This is the game that I was excited to tune into. Originally scheduled to be playing in my ball hockey league from 8-9pm, the other team couldn't field enough players (hmmmm....). We were ready to play tonight since my team already has already missed our game that was scheduled during Superbowl Sunday.

- I know there are many people who are going to question Canada's chances of winning gold. I know there will be many people who will praise the play of the Americans and state Canada deserved to lose. But I can't see how the Americans can say they outplayed Canada tonight. If they play like that again if they meet up with Canada later on, and I believe that's about as good a game you'll see from them based on their talent level, Canada should come out on top.

- Undisciplined penalties once again proved costly against Canada: Three straight penalties in the third period put the game away for the Americans. I have no idea what it will take to get that message through, but hopefully the lesson has been learned now that they'll be done if they lose one more game.

- Any thoughts of using Scott Niedermayer as a rental player at the NHL trade line as been rumoured should be kiboshed based on the first three games of play in this tournament. He's simply not the same player he used to be at 36 years old. Chris Pronger is another guy showing his age; there were some questioning these choices for Team Canada and I can now see why. It is quite surprising how the veterans have been liabilites thus far and aren't contributing to the offence.

- I really wish CBC was still handling the Olympics. Having to listen to the TSN/Sportsnet conglomerate is just too much for me to bear.

- No question about it, Luongo has to be the man to carry the load the rest of the way in. I'm not laying the loss at the feet of Brodeur, but while he made some spectacular saves, I would say he let in maybe two he should have stopped.

- Despite the loss, I can't complain about the entertainment value of this game. Can you imagine a rematch against these two teams? That would be off-the-charts good. Let's pray it happens, if for no other reason that would mean Canada is either battling for gold or the right to play for it.

Comments:
SBP,

Your Olympic sports reporting is spot on these days. I agree with your assessment of the game and think that we got pretty worked up over a meaningless game.

Sure, we'll have play an extra game but in a tournament like this, that is a good thing.

The only thing I disagree with is your goaltending pick for the next game. Brodeur must be better and the only way he will be better is to play the rest of the way.

Our chances of winning will be highest with Brodeur in net, end of story. There is no better goaltender for this situation that currently plays men's ice hockey. Period.

RBP
 
If they stick with Brodeur, I can't say I'll cause a stink about it. Truth be told, I thought that baseball bat thing he did with the puck was pretty cool...until it led to a USA goal, that is!
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]