Thursday, February 18, 2010

Random SBP Team Canada Thoughts



- As soon as Sid the Kid stepped on the ice the 2nd time in the shootout, I had no doubts he was going to put the puck in the net. I'm sure he looked over at coach Mike Babcock and said, "I know what to do" and the rest is history.

- No doubt there will be many already pushing the panic button, worrying how Canada can handle powerhouses Russia and Sweden if they need a shootout to beat a lowly Switzerland team. I am not one of them. Any team can ride a hot goalie, and indeed the Swiss got a huge performance out of Jonas Hiller from the Anaheim Mighty Ducks to force a shootout. They kept pressing and pressing but just hit a brick wall with Hiller, and really it could have happened to any team.

- Any more reason to hate Chris Pronger? Seeing him go after another Swiss player, which led to a delayed penalty, which led to confusion in front of Brodeur, which led to a Swiss goal probably had Babcock fuming. A completely selfish play by Pronger; I'm just glad it happened in a somewhat meaningless preliminary game.

- Ryan Getzlaf and Scott Niedermayer seemed to be turning over the puck more times than they are accustomed to, but one player that stood out to me, sort of in the background, was Dan Boyle. He played solid defense, made great outlet passes and was a presence in the offensive zone. He didn't get any points, sure, but they will come if he keeps it up.

- Not sure if I agree with Babcock's decisions on ice time, benching Iginla for most of the third is one thing that stands out in my mind. Didn't he get a hat trick for you the previous game? Put out guys that can put the puck in the net.

- Looking forward to the Canada - USA contest, although I'm missing most of it to play in my ball hockey league. That will be Canada's big test before the elimination games come.

Comments:
In game one, I made it a point to watch Getzlaf and see if he was favouring an ankle. Not knowing which one had been injured, I saw that he hardly put any weight on the left side. I don't think he's quite over the injury yet.

Babcock's gotta coach 'em up on how to beat trap teams. That 1-4 lineup across the blueline was brutal, but everyone kept trying to bring pucks in. Gotta dump and chase, superstars!
 
SBP,

Iginla was hurt. When he did get out there in the 3rd, he was very good. He took a head shot that I think stunned him a bit.

I think we need to consider the fact that other hockey nations out there are getting better. The Swiss is one of them. Couple that with a hot goalie and I agree with your analysis of the game.

The Russians lost yesterday too from what I understand. This goes to show the parity argument even more.

We should be in for some good hockey.

Patrice Bergeron won some huge own zone face-offs in the late going. Thought I would mention it because I know you like him.

RBP
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]