Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Random SBP Team Canada Thoughts



- Sure, we're all delighted Canada handed out a spanking to start the Olympic tournament with an 8-0 victory over Norway, but I have to say the build up for this game wasn't that great. I mean, when Canada won gold in 2002 they opened up the games by playing against another powerhouse in Sweden. THAT'S how you start a tournament: with a COMPETITIVE game. Next contest is against Switzerland, and until they play the USA on Sunday, it'll be another ho-hum game they should win without too many problems.

- Overthinking is never a good thing. How they can start the game with Jarome Iginla on the fourth line while worst roster pick Patrice Bergeron gets the top line with Crosby and Nash is beyond me. Every media idiot eating up whatever Steve Yzerman gives them goes on about the chemistry these guys had back in 2005 in the World Juniors tournament. I'm sorry, but five years, two concussions and one playoff goal later, Bergeron is not the same. Luckily there's some flexibility in their approach and they corrected that erroneous error and had Iginla play on the top line by the second period, recording a hat trick once everything was said and done.

- Seeing Heatley score two goals tonight...still hard for me to cheer that guy, even with the red maple leaf on his sweater. I've restricted myself to polite applause if he scores a few more.

- Don't you love how all the players think it's a "special treat" to be playing for Canada in Canada, yet they never actually want to sign a NHL contract with a Canadian team and deal with the pressures of playing in a real hockey market? It's a shame, really.

- I sound a bit grumpy, don't I? I don't mean to. Once we get to the REAL games, I'm sure that will change. GO CANADA GO!

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]