Tuesday, December 01, 2009

The Toronto Sports Network



As a Sens fan, I have to put up with a lot of crap when it comes to media coverage on my team. The reason for that, is that a lot of the coverage is provided by those with, let's just say in my opinion, have a bias.

What bias is this? Well, it doesn't take a genius to figure out the largest city in Canada is Toronto. And it doesn't take a genius to know most major media outlets are based in Toronto. Finally, it doesn't take a genius to figure out most journalists covering the NHL wear blue and white pajamas and are card carrying members of Leaf nation, whether they admit it or not.

And the worst offender has to be TSN, whom many a Sens fan like to refer to as the Toronto Sports Network.

Any time the Sens are on being broadcast by that station, I get "treated" with colour commentary by Pierre McGuire, Ray Ferraro, or heaven help me, the two of them at the same time. Two games they worked on sort sum up my feelings on these two "experts".

The first meeting between the Tampa Bay Lightning and Senators was near the start of the season, but already Ray Ferraro wasn't giving Ottawa much of a chance. Despite upgrading in net, adding some depth to the offense and the signs of improved play under new Sens coach Cory Clouston, not all were enthused. At the very least, I thought the changes deserved a "wait and see" approach. "I'd pick Tampa over Ottawa to make the playoffs" said a smug Ferraro. The Sens won that game 7-1, thank you Ray.

The Ottawa Senators played the Columbus Blue Jackets a few days ago, and won by a slim margin of 2-1. McGuire likes to call out his "monster" of the game, the player he think was the best player and difference maker. And despite registering no points and his team losing, he names Rick Nash his "monster", showing clips of him missing the net and not scoring. Now look, Nash is awesome...he's on my Team Canada. But he didn't deliver that night. But I'm sure the Sens were just lucky to win.

Listen, I'm not trying to convert these guys into Sens fans. I would just like some objective coverage not done by a bunch of Leafs fans wanting to throw the Senators under the bus at every chance they get, win or lose.

There. Rant done. Now I'm going to try to stay up for the Senators-Sharks game on Sportsnet.

Comments:
Pierre McGuire is a boil on the backside of sports journalism. There's nobody on TV covering sports that'll make me change the channel (or hit the mute button) faster, not even Don Cherry.
 
Ah, I can't rip on Don Cherry too much. At least he doesn't say anything during the actual game.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]