Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Avatar



When I first heard James Cameron was going to direct a new movie, I was excited for it. Terminator, Aliens, True Lies...I'm never bored with what he brings to the screen. When I saw the trailer for the first time...ugh, the first though that came to mind was who thought these Ferngully rejects passed as good character design? It didn't make me want to see it at all. But when the reviews came in, they were mostly positive so I decided to give it a try. And in 3D no less.

First, the 3D experience was rather neat, there were a number of scenes that really enhanced the presentation. At the same time, other scenes they didn't really add much to the visuals, and to be honest I don't particularly enjoy wearing glasses to watch something, especially with this film running nearly 3 hours. So, I'm sort of okay with 3D but if you told me I wouldn't see another one, I'd be okay with it. (And this may sound a little weird, but I thought it made the movie screen look smaller, if that's possible).

So as my buddy Rick and myself summed it up, it's Dances with Wolves meets the Matrix or Star Wars depending on how you feel about the action. It's the classic story of how the white guy gets to know the indigenous people of a land his race is trying to take over, and how he switches sides after getting to know them. It's fairly obvious Cameron draws parallels with the American invasion of Iraq and our current world climate crisis, but it isn't too preachy. In any case, most people are coming out in droves to see the action and special effects. Some work quite well, others, considering the reported $300 or so million dollar budget, don't feel any more original then your average action show.

After seeing the Na'vi scene after scene, I guess it grows on you, but I didn't ever get the feeling I wasn't witnessing CGI, as good as it was. I've read countless reviews on how the last 30 minutes redefine the action genre. I didn't think it was that mind-blowing. There was some slick action, don't get me wrong, but I don't see how it changes the way films are made like the way Terminator 2 changed visual effects. The characters are a little too cartoony, especially the lead villain. But a strong point in Avatar is the idea Cameron puts in his story on how the Na'vi are literally linked to their environment , whether plant or animal, and it drives home the point on how we need to feel the same connection to our world and realize how important it is to take good care of it. David Suzuki may have written the screenplay.

But, there are some striking, imaginative visuals and is certainly worth seeing on the big screen. And you know what? I'm guessing this might be one of those films that gets better on repeated viewing. I'd like to see how it holds up the second time. Anyway, I recommend you go see it.

Comments:
SPODS

RBP
 
Usually when the producers of a movie insist on telling you that their new movie will revolutionize the world, it falls way, way short of expectations.

The good movies out there let the viewers create and perpetuate opinions about how good the movie was. Being told what my opinion of this move is before hand signals to me that I should not waste my time. Your review only confirms that as you sound disappointed or let down by it.

It's funny, I don't remember anything about Shawshank Redemption before I saw it. I only watched it because I really like Morgan Freeman. By far, the best movie I have ever seen.

Perhaps I was living in a cave when the trailers were out but I don't think I was.

I was like 0 when The Godfather came out so I can't say what the hype was before the movie but I am willing to bet it was not sensational for its time either.

I'm with you on the 3D thing. Wearing cheap, uncomfortable, cardboard glasses for one or two scenes seems dumb.

RBP
 
It was film reviewers that hyped the finale of the movie that made me want to see it, not so much the producers. They actually did a bad job releasing an uninteresting trailer in my opinion. But they did get a lot of publicity in to at least make the public aware of it. As good as Shawshank was, it did horrible box office. Not a lot of people saw it when it was released, not even enough for word of mouth to kick in and it is talked about today only because of home video. My point is for a film to be successful you need some buzz attached to it, and Avatar had the combination of a large marketing campaign combined with strong reviews to make it the draw it is now.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]