Wednesday, November 18, 2009

The Rogers Debacle

I decided to do it.

No more hesitation, delaying or looking for an excuse.

What exactly did I do?

I called Rogers to tell them I'm done.

Rogers takes care of my phone, internet and cable. And every time I'd pay my bill, I'd feel like a sucker. I was paying full price; no discounts to speak of. It didn't make sense: I have plenty of friends telling me about how their not paying any fee to rent their digital box or how they got a break on their phone charges.

Why couldn't I get that same treatment?

So I tried the honest method...I spoke to a rep and told him how could I save a few bucks? He told me to commit to a 2 year contract to save 10%. That doesn't even cover the tax. That's the best you can do? Yup, apparently so.

So I hung up and called back. "Please cancel all my accounts." I was transferred immediately to another department. "May I ask why?" "Bell is cheaper." "What if I were able to give you 30% off of your services, would that entice you to stay?"

Yup.

After that, all I had to do was agree to stay for a year and I'd get the deal. Now part of me is a little annoyed...what was stopping them from giving me this deal before?

Just my ignorance I suppose.

So if you're paying full price, give them a call. It'll save you some dough-ray-me.

Comments:
I don't know why you take these things so personally, BP.

Yes, I and others have gotten good deals, but we effectively did the same thing as you: Told them we were considering switching, got in touch with someone who was authorized to deal, and go from there.

I don't feel like a sucker when I pay my bill, but then again, I didn't before I got my rates reduced, either.

The Internet's not faster, and the TV shows certainly aren't written better, and when my year of discounts are up, I'll go with whatever plan is more competitive in price and convenience.
 
I'm not sure if I take it personally, but I admit I carry resentment. Just feel like I've been taken advantage of a lot of times, whether it's buying a car, negotiating a mortgage rate, or paying a cable bill. None of these companies are interested in helping me or ensuring I'm a happy client that got a good & fair deal on something, they're just as happy ripping me off if they can get away with it, and a lot of times they have.
 
SBP,

Back to mucis class, buddy.

It's Do-RĂ©-Mi. I'll give you the license on dough but not on the other two.

RBP

PS I am just doing this to annoy you. I can't wait until you tell us about ditching your current Bank!
 
I never use that word! Debacle. But I did with you earlier in the day... guess it stuck. It's a good word.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]