Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Not Messing Around




After the first 2-3 weeks of the "urgent" segment of the population: elderly, children, pregnant women, front-line health staff etc, get their vaccines, I'm going to get an H1N1 flu shot, too.

I usually don't bother with getting a flu shot, and I usually don't get overtly concerned about the latest ailment to hit the human population, but this is different. Reading up on how even healthy individuals, young or old, are dying after contracting the virus is disconcerting. I've just finished reading an article about how three NHL players have the virus and are currently recovering. If a person who's paid millions of dollars to eat right and stay in shape can get sick with swine flu, anyone can.

When the listeria outbreak in the tainted meat occurred, those who died were persons who generally already had health problems and weak immune systems. And the numbers weren't that great in comparison to H1n1 victims, so I wasn't too worried about it.

But this swine flu pandemic seems much more risky. I don't think I'm going to mess around: Once the first wave of people get their shot, I'm going to get mine.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]