Monday, September 21, 2009

Far Be it for me to Plug a Product...



...but I was really impressed when reading about one of the new cell phones just released in the marketplace that is being sold primarily on its environmental benefits. The Samsung Reclaim M560, available in "Earth" Green and "Ocean" Blue, is a tree hugger's cell phone that is a bit wider than your average cell but only 0.56 of an inch thick. So what makes it so environmentally friendly? The casing is made from, I can't believe it, corn. The packaging itself features 70% recycled materials and is printed using soy inks. The charger uses 12x less energy than a standard Energy Star model and to top it all off, $2.00 will be donated to the Nature Conservancy's Adopt an Acre program.

It's too bad I've already signed a contract with Virgin Mobile on my current cell, as with it's sliding keyboard, two megapixel camera & GPS, I definitely would have picked this one in a heartbeat. I know I sound like quite the shill, but I find it quite exciting reading up on these types of products that can be competitive with the run-of-the-mill environmentally UNFRIENDLY products we are inundated with.

Hopefully such enviro-features will become standard in EVERYTHING we buy, for as Jerry Seinfeld said, everything we acquire is just the first day on its journey to the garbage dump.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]