Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Seven Cents

Man I hate banks. I'm sure not the only one with that sentiment. Today perhaps I'll do something about it. Maybe you think I'm overreacting; tell me what you think.

A few weeks ago, TD Canada Trust charged me a $5.00 overdraft charge. For the first time in the 22 years I've been a TD customer, I didn't have the funds when a pre-authorized payment was processed. My bad...pay day was the next day and I didn't think my car insurance was coming out the day before. Initially upset, I let it go thinking, "Well, maybe I deserved it for being so irresponsible with my budgeting." I slept on it and forgot about it. Until today.

I was reviewing my bank balance when I noticed those jerks over at the jerk store charged me SEVEN CENTS as interest for the one day I was in "arrears". SEVEN CENTS! I was livid. Like I said before, totally forgot about the $5.00 charge. But this petty charge brought the memories all back. Couldn't believe the bank not just nickels and dimes you but PENNIES you to death! Don't I deserve a break? Does 22 years of being a client mean anything?

So I emailed TD Canada Trust and asked those questions, mentioning it wasn't the $5.00 but the SEVEN cents they collected that set me off. I asked for both charges be reversed, seeing as it was an innocent oversight, I'd been with them for 22 years, I have my bank account, mortgage and recent car loan with them and this was the first time my balance was short when doing a transaction.

Well...the emailed response was copy of their policy on overdraft charges. Not what I asked for so I tell them that. They tell me to call this number for "specific" inquiries about my account. No way...I'm not calling a 1-800 # to be put on hold for an hour while they transfer me from person to person passing the buck. THEY got my email, it's up to THEM to figure out who to give it to and deal with. And the response to that was still, no, call the number, and really, I'm lucky they didn't charge $42 for the mishap and that they provided the overdraft "product" for me.

So am I supposed to send them an email now to say "Thanks for not charging me an addition $36.93"?

I don't think so. Screw TD. No more bank account, no more mortgage. That's what I'm thinking. Seven cents!

Choke on it!!!

Comments:
Well you just gave us your two cents, so now you're up to nine!! What a screwjob!
 
You said it pal. SBP screwjob!!!
 
Ben,

PC Financial charges you a minimum of $25 for an NSF! However, I've called their 1-800 number, spoken to a live person within a few minutes of going through their phone "menu", played a little on the dumb/innocent side saying I didn't realized you actually request the money for car payments a few days before I actually see it come out of my account. After they explain the whole process to me (which I'm fully aware of from working in a bank), I kindly ask them if they could see their way to reversing the charge. Especially is this is your first offence, they should do it. If not, then be calm and let them know you will take your business to their competitor where you know they would do this for you...ie. President's Choice. They did it for me - they can do it for you!

Good luck!
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]