Thursday, July 02, 2009

F****** Heatley!

It's old news by now, but my incense at one Dany Heatley simply cannot be contained.

You know, you would think that after the Dan Snyder incident, Heatley would just be grateful to still be alive much less be a multi-millionaire superstar hockey player.

When he came to Ottawa, the Senators made the transition as comfortable for him as possible. The fans embraced him with open arms.

He was rewarded with a 7 year, $7.5 million per year deal and was also granted a no trade clause. At the time, no one thought anything of it. Why would you want to trade a sniper like Dany Heatley? And he hasn't even hit his prime yet.

His request for a trade because of a riff with a coach doesn't make sense. If anything, it was a chance to turn the team's fortunes around and to lead by example.

A true leader would look at the overall goals of the team and not be concerned with personal stats.

A true leader would show by example the personal sacrifices needed to get their team out of their hump. Maybe this would mean less minutes. Maybe it would mean playing on the 2nd powerplay unit.

Maybe it would involve putting in an extra effort to earn that extra playing time.

For the life of me I would have never have guessed Dany Heatley would be this sort of selfish player. Never would I have imagined in a million years that Sens fans would want to run him out of town.

Only Heatley could demand a trade, the Senators doing their best to get the best deal possible for the team, find a deal (that really I don't think was all that great anyway) and then say he isn't going anywhere and to find another team to trade with.

This team had the coach, GM, and team captain contact Heatley to discuss the strengths of playing with the Edmonton Oilers.

And he still turned them down.

I wonder if his agents really thought it through when Heatley stated he wanted a trade. I wonder if the implications of making Team Canada in 2010, or being a future Hall of Famer down the road, were ever considered when he made this decision. Or if he even thought of the backlash of the fans.

I have a 11 X 14 framed Heatley photo in my bedroom right now.

What am I going to do with it?

Comments:
I can't believe you brought Snyder up. I just can't believe you would do that.
 
I don't see a problem with bringing up the direct cause of Dany's move to Ottawa. Without that incident, he could conceivably still be an Atlanta Thrasher.
 
I don't think I brought it up in a bad way...just pointing out how such an experience would humble the average person and perhaps b more inclined to show extra gratitude to the Sens organization for giving him a 2nd chance.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]