Saturday, May 23, 2009

Let Sleeping Dogs Lie



One of the many web sites I like to visit include blu-ray.com.  Having a blu-ray player has re-ignited my passion for collecting movies (although I try not to replicate DVD titles I already own, maybe outside my top 25) and I enjoy reading up on what titles are coming up for release.

So...a recent press-release included notice that The Last Starfighter was hitting blu-ray.  A warm fuzzy came over me.  I mean, if you saw this movie the first time I saw it (when I was ten), you thought this movie was the cat's meow!  The idea that if you were good enough at a video game to be recruited in some far away planet to blast away aliens...hey, sign me up!

But then you stop and think what the motives behind The Last Starfighter were, some of the dialogue written...and you end up questioning re-visiting this lost "classic."  The movie was riding the wave of popularity the original Star Wars trilogy brought and could come nowhere close to their quality.  The lines were pretty bad: "This is a Zandozan, compliments of Xur!" And how good could the special f/x be when compared to today's movies?

Films of the 1980s are usually like that.  Terrific when you're a kid; not so much with a little maturity and bitterness built up as an adult.

So, Last Starfighter, I will not be acquiring you on blu-ray.  I'll try to remember you as I did when I saw you at the drive-in 25 years ago so my first impression of you is not entirely ruined... 

Comments:
All good arguments, but the real issue is that the print is probably grainy and the transfer to HD won't look that good anyways. I can't tell the difference between my Hunt for Red October Blu-ray versus the upconverted DVD.

"So, what do we do now?"

"We die!"
 
Yeah you said it. Some studios are so lazy with their transfers, these days I'll always read up on the reviews of older movies to see if anyone bothered to upgrade them properly.

"Up to your old Excalibur tricks again, eh, Centauri?"
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]