Wednesday, March 18, 2009

That's More Like It

I'll admit I'm one of many that didn't like the idea of a rookie coach taking over the helm of fired Craig Hartsburg, thinking a veteran coach who won't let the players run roughshod over him was the answer to the woes of the Ottawa Senators (well, one of the many problems, anyway). But Cory Clouston has done a tremendous job in turning the team around and although it might be too late for a shot at the playoffs, at the very least they can build off the end of the season into next year and get back into contention again. It's nice to see some effort from the boys again, and turning in some W's sure makes watching their games a lot more enjoyable.

One new Senator that has left an impression on me lately has been winger Ryan Shannon. He's small (5'9, and actually if he, Daniel Alfredsson and Mike Comrie played together, that might be the shortest line in the NHL) but he's got wheels. And he tries to play big, not afraid to mix it up with his larger counterparts. He also has as a nice touch of skill that has earned him some powerplay time. Next game he'll get a shot at playing with Heatley and Spezza, and it'll be interesting to see how he meshes with the big boys.

I have to admit if I had $100 and was told I could bet either for or against the Sens making the playoffs, I would certainly bet against that happening, with just 13 games left and 11 points behind the 8th place team. But at the same time...well, I haven't lost all hope. They've been playing some good hockey, and they're still mathematically in the hunt.

I've seen weirder things happen.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]