Sunday, March 22, 2009

Grumpy

Is it my "old" age, or just my character...or just a bad day?

I went to a sports pub Thursday night (to see the Sens beat the Habs and win a foot-long sub bet, thank you very much!) with a couple of friends, and the waitress just drove me crazy.  She was way to happy to serve us in my opinion, giving me the vibe she just wanted to get a good tip.  It came across as so fake to me.  Now there was a time when a 19 year-old waitress talking to me this way would make my day.  But now I was just annoyed.  Just take my order, bring everything promptly, no inane chit-chat please! 

And it happened again today.  I went to get some scones from a bakery.  Same thing: high pitched voice, an insincere tone...topped by a long wait.  One of the employees spoke to the cashier said, "Please serve this gentleman, he has been so good and so very patient!"  Whatever, you're just trying to cover up the fact you made me wait so long.

I couldn't give them these people the benefit of the doubt.   Maybe there were genuinely happy and maybe they really wanted to make sure I had a good stay.  But my patience just wore thin.  Is it a sign of getting older?

Guess it's a good sign that I can at least address it and perhaps not be so irate.

Comments:
I think you need to smoke a fry.....
 
Don't think it was age (you aren't old by the way) it was your patience. That "inane chit-chat" is probably genuine in her mind and makes the time go by while doing one of the most thankless jobs; serving others, sometimes serving grumpy customers who won’t make conversation with them.
 
Smoke a fry? Guess there's a FIRST time for everything...
 
As long as you don't feel like this all the time. I don't think people arrive into this world feeling this way so... maybe it has something to do with age. But you want a little bit of edge. It's about balance.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]