Thursday, February 19, 2009

Why Do It?



There has been more than one occasion where I have been questioned on the intelligence to put $1,500US towards a poker tournament, where the odds of coming out on top are slim to none.

There is a slight competitive spirit in me, although I've been unfortunate to have the athletic skills equalling, well, a recreational just-for-fun athlete. That's really how it is for most of us. On top of that, the current employment I have is not exactly life-altering. Again, that's what way it is for the majority of plebs in Western life. That is not to say I'm not grateful for where I am and what has been given to me. I'm lucky to have good friends & family, a roof over my head with a nice TV and not have to worry about too many things. Most of the world doesn't have this luxury; most have to scrape by just to make it to the next day. It's easy to take for granted what we have, but I try my best not to.

The only real outlet I have to go "beyond" where I am, to do something that millions of card players dream about, is to go to the World Series of Poker and win a bracelet. Poker is special that way. We can't be the starting QB in the Superbowl. We can't be the lead-off pitcher for game 7 of the World Series. But the World Series of Poker offers the opportunity, if you have a little money, to try to win your own Stanley Cup.

I'm a bit of a dreamer, with some competitiveness inside me. The WSOP gives me a chance to see if I can do anything with it. So once again this year, I'll try my luck, hope for the best, and see what fate has in store for me.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]