Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Dates Gone Wrong

A few years ago, after recovering from one more breakup, I decided to test my luck on a dating website. It was very frustrating...mainly because after I'd exchange a couple of emails and thought there was interest, a request for an actual meeting would always fall on deaf years. I couldn't figure out if it was lousy email skills or I just took too much time to ask.

I tried a different approach. After just sending out one email to a particular profile, the next message I immediately asked if she would like to go for lunch. I got a yes. Perfect! Hey, I hardly knew this person, but it was a definite change of pace from all the no replies earlier.

So we met at a place I forget, and for an hour the "interview" took place. That's all it is really, just a Q & A to figure out if we'd go out again. The date was going well, and I thought to myself it would be worth a second date. That is, until the end.

"Thanks for lunch, I have to go the Royal Ottawa now."
"The Royal Ottawa?" (It's a mental institution!)
"Yeah. I have to visit my husband."
"HUSBAND!?"
"Oh it's okay. We're separated."

No thanks. I never called her again. And I quit online dating for about another three years.

Comments:
Yeesh. That's just chock full of understanding buddy. What would Captain Daniel Alfredsson say about the fact that you were interested in someone until you found out that their ex was in the hospital for some undisclosed mental issue?
 
You KNOW who I am.
 
Stan, that's one way to look at it.

On the other hand...you can look at the fact this woman, who isn't divorced yet and just separated, jumped ship on her sick husband and is already starting to date other people.

Now there's someone special.
 
True. I suppose there're a bunch of different ways to look at it. She could have been a complete nutbar. Probably the only way to be sure would be to ask her about it.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]