Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Tangible Media - Enjoy it While it's Still Here

There’s something very satisfying about opening a new blu-ray disc or the latest Xbox 360 game.

It’s almost like opening a Christmas present. A cover that displays colourful graphics to illustrate the product you have just purchased, with a brief description and screen shots on the back of it to let you know what you have to look forward to. And when you open up the case of said game or movie, you see it: the round, silver disc laser-imprinted with all the goodness you are anticipating. You take the disc out of the case and, wow, you OWN it! Think about how cool it is to OWN a movie that cost millions of dollars to make. I remember when the 10th anniversary DVD of Reservoir Dogs came out: You could buy the movie with one of four main characters pictured on a cardboard sleeve over the DVD package, either Mr. Blonde, Mr. Orange, Mr. Pink or Mr. White. My friends and I, without consulting each other, each picked up a different "colour" reflecting our tastes and personalities somewhat (I had Harvey Keitel's "Mr. White" character, being a big fan of his early 1990s work). I thought that was pretty cool that we managed to pick up in essence a different copy of the same film.

But I know this is something that won’t last forever. In reality, manufacturing discs and packaging is an expensive and environmentally un-friendly way of selling media to the public. Downloading content is the wave of the future. We can already do so with a cable box or satellite dish, and in just a few clicks we can order any movie or pay per view event offered. My Xbox 360 has an ethernet port for internet hook-up, allowing me to download and purchase old and new games alike and have them permanently stored on my hard drive.

I can imagine a future where a hard drive is either separate from or already pre-installed on your big, widescreen HDTV, with a direct wireless internet connection. You’ll have the option of streaming content or paying an additional fee to have shows & movies permanently stored on your hard drive. No silver discs, no extra packaging: it’ll be all in your computer. And all of your personal electronic items capable of playing back media will all have wi-fi capabilities, all hooked into the same main hard drive in your home to watch, listen or play as you please.

It's fantastic technology will allow us to do this. But still…there’s something about tangible media that can’t be replaced. Ownership of a movie or game is something really special. And having the ability to hold it in your hands, admire it, share it with friends...it’ll be something that one day I’ll miss.

Comments:
Better keep that nostalgia going buddy, at the Consumer Electronics Show this year, I think it was LG that unveiled a 240hz Netflix-powered Wi-Fi enabled wireless LCD. So... 5 years and it'll be the standard upgrade for everyone who bought TVs this year...

I too remember picking up my copy of ResDogs and loving the fact that we all got different versions.
 
Although I have a purchased copy of Reservoir Dogs (pretty much anything Tarintino must be purchased) I have to be honest the lust of buying new disks be it music or DVDs went out the window with my mp3 player, burnt disks and now that I can convert AVIs to DVDs I will probably never purchase a DVD again.

So in one way I do still know what you mean about having a hard copy, just as long as it’s free.
 
If there's one thing I look forward to on a consistent basis, it's going into a record store on Tuesdays to see the new music and movies that have been released.

As much as I love the convenience of digital media, it is nice to have that album or movie in your hand. MP3 sound quality is crap anyways.
 
"MP3 sound quality is crap anyways" maybe but it still sounds free to me...
 
I should maybe re-iterate it's the store-bought stuff that I appreciate. A plain CD-RW disc with no packaging or inserts that's flimsy and scratches easily...no thanks.
 
Got it. I appreciate free movies of similar quality and you like to spend money on packaging, got it :)

This is where most people would call me an asshole, an economical one I suppose. Joking, as we all spend are money on different things.
 
Forts,

We all spent money on the same thing in Buffalo: Jägerbombs
 
C'mon Forts, let's discuss this over some Jagerbombs!!!
 
I'm in! The mind will be the first thing to go so we will have to get the discussion going rather quick.
 
Sorry I hit this continued thread so late. It's as if I was eating supper at the hotel bar, and then someone came to get me, as they needed someone else to join in on this jagerbomb discussion.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]