Sunday, January 11, 2009

Root Beer

Cola.

Beer.

Tea.

Coffee.


No matter what the beverage, with or without alcohol, there is always a variance in flavour that lets you know the beverage in question is made by a different entity. Kind of like the Pepsi challenge: Pepsi tends to taste sweeter than Coke, but both are colas. And you have about a hundred different sorts of cola beverages you can buy at the supermarket, all tasting ever so slightly different.

But there's one drink that seems to be pretty consistent, and I'd be damned if I can tell if someone switched bottles in mid-swig that I can tell the difference.

Root beer!



Think about it: Hires, A & W, Barq's...they all taste exactly the same to me. M-C actually bought me a can of the stuff...St. Blue's I think it was called, can't remember...but this micro-soft drink producer made a drink that's consistent with all the others. I was impressed!

But why is it that way? The independent label I enjoyed was selling the fact it used all natural ingredients and there weren't any weird chemicals in it. But it still tasted just like its mass-marketed counterparts. No one seems interested in altering the flavour a little just to differentiate itself from the others.

Anyway, yeah, slow news day I suppose. But...good times with the Root Beer!

Comments:
I think alt-rootbeer would just compete with Dr. Pepper, wouldn't it?

Not sure which of us is in the minority, but I can tell the difference, and could probably name blind, each of Barq's (most cola-like), Mug (no caffeine-induced jolt) and A&W (foamier than the other two).

Which makes me curious as to how that all-natural brand tastes... where'd she get it?
 
Loblaws! (I think).

Your taste buds are indeed refined!
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]