Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Random SBP Thoughts

- My bank card apparently got copied. No funds were lost from my account but I'm trying to think of how/where it could have been done. It's such a pain. You try to be careful as best you can but here you are. Anyway, gotta pick up a new card tomorrow.

- Nortel's stock has plummeted to 13 cents per share today, getting halted from any further trading as it files for bankruptcy protection. When I think of the time it was once valued at about $125 a share, what goes through people's minds when they buy stock? Do they think it's a secure investment? They should just call it what it is: glorified gambling. You should put money in you can afford to lose, and nothing more. But that doesn't happen, and $700 billion in bailout money courtesy of U.S. Joe Taxpayer is the result.

- I haven't read any Sens fan message boards in a long time, and today I reminded myself why. Fans calling and writing in saying the team needs to tank the season to get the draft pick have no idea what they're talking about. As much as I kid about it, no player will purposely tank a season for something like a draft lottery pick. The team plays to win, period. Someone else wrote that if Ottawa managed to make it to the playoffs, it would be a waste anyway since they would be swept in the first round. Hmmm...well, if they need to win about 30 of the last 40 games to have any sort of chance of making it, wouldn't you say that they are all of a sudden a very competent team to play against? Just saying...

- Did you hear about that guy who donated his kidney to his dying wife...then she cheated on him and filed for divorce? HE WANTS THE KIDNEY BACK! Or he'll take $1.5 million compensation. Everyone out there, when you decide to donate an organ, BE SURE OF THE PERSON YOU'RE GIVING IT TO!

Comments:
If cash wasn't missing, how'd you find out it was copied??

As for the fans...welcome to Leaf fandom for the last few years. Actually, it's not that bad, because most fans tend to believe it's always possible. I think Sens fans have had it too good for too long and don't know how to deal with the new situation. It'll make 'em into a more well-rounded hockey fan to see it from both sides though.

Regardless of what she did, it's ridiculous that he wants the kidney back. He did it as a selfless act to save someone he loved. How she repaid that act is awful, but it doesn't give him the right to demand payment for something given freely. If I have a chance to help someone I care about survive a life-threatening situation, I'm not going to do a pros/cons list about what they might do in the future...
 
When I went to use it to pay for some gas, "card cancelled" came up on the pinpad. When I got home, I checked my balance (which was the same) called the bank and they explained it had been copied, although they couldn't or didn't want to give me specifics, and told me to go to a branch to get a new card.

I doubt anything will happen with the kidney issue, either, but it makes for good conversation around the water cooler. You should have no regrets after selflessly giving up something like that, even though it will hurt in the short term that you were treated so horribly.
 
Just had the same thing happen with my Mastercard. Apparently it was compromised somehow so a new card is being issued. No details given.
Nortel's stock hit a high of 124.50 before a 1 for 10 stock consolidation, meaning it had a high of 1245.00 down to its current low of 17 cents. Might as well use it as toilet paper.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]