Sunday, January 18, 2009

The Arizona Cardinals

I like rooting for underdogs.

Or sometimes, just the franchise without much to celebrate.

Generally speaking, I like to watch sports, despite only really following one pro league, the NHL. But during playoffs and championship games of other sports, it's hard not to get sucked in to watching "the big game". A lot of people go to Superbowl parties even though they may not have sat through one football game all year. I have this "goal" that I'd like to see happen in my lifetime: that I will have attended each major sports event in person at least once. So one Superbowl, one World Series, one Stanley Cup final (yup, I didn't have the $ to see one of two games that came to Ottawa so hopefully it'll happen again sometime in my life).

Anyway, I'm getting a little sidetracked. Today, the Arizona Cardinals beat the Philadelphia Eagles to make it to the first Superbowl in franchise history. This is significant, because they've been in the league since 1898. And prior to this year, they've won only TWO playoff games in their history.

So really, wouldn't it be nice for a team to finally overcome the hurdle of choker after decades upon decades of failure and have a championship to bring home to the city they play in? Sure, you might have your NFL favourite team already (almost everyone I know likes either the Pittsburgh Steelers, San Franciso 49ers, Dallas Cowboys or Buffalo Bills) but if you have no emotional tie-in to the teams like me, I think a Cardinals win would make for a great feel-good story.

Oh, there's also a tight-end on the team named Ben Patrick. Ben Patrick with a championship ring! Has a nice, uh, ring to it....

Comments:
It's Ben Patrick vs. Ben Roethlisberger. The perfect stage for a SuperBowl Ben Patrick screw job!!
 
Ha...indeed. Well, I can't cheer against Stan's & Adam's favourite team. Give me one BP touchdown on February 1st and that will make me happy enough.
 
I'm rooting for a BP screwjob, naturally... No catches, no touchdowns, no nothin.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]