Monday, December 01, 2008

Yummy



If cake is my kryptonite, then chocolate milk is my...uh...similar kryptonite (maybe that synthetic kind from Superman III that turned Supe into an evil version of himself). Every morning, most people head to a Tim's or Starbucks for a double double or latte. Not me. I grab 500ML of chocolate goodness.

My last year of high school, I used to buy those small 1 litre plastic containers of chocolate milk from Becker's. It was so thick it almost tasted like cream! I had one every morning during Calculus class. I never bothered to return the plastic container to get the 25 cent deposit back and just threw it out in the garbage. So aside from being a glutton, I was also an environmental menace.

On a positive note, I recently read this beverage is actually excellent after a round of exercise...the combination of a high carb/high protein drink is perfect for recovery after running a few miles; better than a standard sports drink.

So the point of all this?

I love chocolate milk!

Comments:
isn't chocolate milk high in calories, if you aren't careful you'll need to buy a bigger belt.
 
Try using skim milk and adding your own syrup. You'll probably add alot less sugar that way.
 
There are misconceptions and many varying views on the sports drinks versus other alternatives. All the research articles will contradict one another, just like in any study.

With chocolate milk it is good after an intense workout but it needs to be ‘intense’. With its protein content it will aid in repairing muscles for growth far better then a sports drink but with the cost of high sugar content, even with the 1% variety it can still have slightly more sugar then Gatorade. So you need to be sure the calories were well burned before hand. I will grab one from time to time if I am running late and need a little extra protein added to my lunch after a workout.

Gatorade is perfect for LONG strenuous training sessions where you have completely depleted your body and require quick and many electrolytes.

Although they don’t taste like creamy chocolate milk, protein shakes are still by far the best. Put a scoop in a blender with whatever fruit you prefer and add some 1% milk and it literally tastes like a shake, with about a quarter of the calories and much more nutrients and protein.
 
Great info Forts. But somehow, I think he was justifying his love for Chocolate Milk (to quote Kramer: His dark master, the cocoa bean) more than looking for the optimal post-workout refreshment. :)
 
I thought the same Stan but felt compelled...it was either that or tell him off for raising the roof on my site.
 
I've come up with some Anti-Roof-Raising branding that I'd like you to consider.

Also, I'm working on a 23-day project for keeping up-to-date with some interesting daily questions and answers...

Enjoy!

-Stan
 
I'm just curious... are you downing it as post workout drink or just a morning treat.
 
Ummm...more the latter than the former!
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]