Friday, December 19, 2008

Random SBP Thoughts

- The Mats Sundin saga finally has come to a close, and he's playing for the Canucks. Apparently the NY Rangers were his first choice, but GM Glen Sather couldn't make a deal with another team to move one of his players to make the cap space. And I was thinking to myself: What team in the East would make a deal with Sather, aiding a team that would be much better with Sundin in the lineup, when they have to play the Rangers on a future date or dates? So that limits 1/2 the teams in the NHL to make a deal with him so his options were limited. Sundin though certainly isn't complaining about his $10 million per season pro-rated salary. And I also thought it was cool a Canadian team won a free-agent war for a change.

- Woohoo! Christmas vacation time. I put in my last 9-to-5er (well, more like 7:30-to-3:30er) today and I'll be off for two weeks. So what will SBP do to pass the time? Sleep? Xbox? DVDs? Hockey? Food? I'm thinking a little of all of the above :-). Who says you need to be out of town to enjoy a vacation?

- Blogger Championship update: I qualified for the finals Sunday which is sweet! I played a tournament I've never tried before, 8 game. You would play these games in the following order for six minutes before it gets switched: 2-7 triple draw, Limit Hold em, Limit Omaha hi/lo, Razz, Stud, Stud hi/lo, No limit hold em and Pot limit Omaha (yes, there are quite a few different poker variants!). So I finished 25th (needed to be in the top 72) out of 450 players tonight and the final looks to have about 400 players. First prize is a trip to the Caribbean to play in a poker tournament...what else can you say except: NICE! And the best part is that it's all free to play!

- So the Sens blow another game in embarrassing fashion by getting spanked 5-1 to the Devils tonight. That's it...this team isn't going anywhere this year: No playoffs, nothing. I'm still going to watch them and actually tomorrow I got tickets for the Dallas Stars game (ride beside the bench! sweet!). Like a marriage, it's through thick and thin! For richer or poorer! In sickness and in health! And right now my boys are very, very sick. If they tank this year, but land Johnathan Tavares in the draft...maybe that will help ease the pain of the season.

Comments:
i like your blog......
 
I also like your blog.

Anyways, what do you think the Sens need to do to fix this thing? Is it blow up time? Are there a couple of pieces missing that would turn it all around?

I don't think it's the coach, they've had three so far during this skid (Paddock, Murray and Hartsberg) and they've all had pretty much the same results.

I'd make a play for Kaberle if Toronto's willing to deal with their provincial rival...
 
I really think secondary scoring is the issue that's the heart of the problem. If guys like Fisher and Vermette contributed like their contracts say they can contribute, I really think this would remove a lot of pressure the Pizza line has on them. It's unfair to ask them to score all the goals each and every night, you need the rest of the roster to contribute for the nights they don't. And since there's no one else scoring, I think the weight of the world is on the shoulders of Spez, Heater and Alfie. And to compensate for the lack of scoring, it's demanded they play more defensively to prevent goals. Thing is, Spezza hasn't played that way since he was 12. He's trying to do things he can't do, so it takes away from him trying to score attempting to be a two-way player.

I think if Murray added a guy like Brendan Shanahan on the 2nd line and powerplay, it would do wonders. And of course, swinging a deal for J-Bo would be okay, too!
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]