Monday, December 22, 2008

Just a Thought...

Have you ever noticed sometimes we doubt the ones we love?

Think about it. Of course, I'm talking about things that, for the most part, are very trivial. But when you boil it down, we don't always believe/listen when we ask our better half for some advice or an opinion. Let me explain what I'm talking about.

I was at the Sunglass Hut. There was a couple nearby, and the girlfriend was trying on these different sunglasses. She had this pair on that looked pretty good on her. She asked her boyfriend what he thought about the pair and he liked them, too. She switched to this other pair and she seemed to prefer that pair instead, but the boyfriend was trying to talk her out of it. I sided with him: they were way too big, and the first pair were so much nicer.

Not sure what got in me, but I needed to give my 2 cents on the situation myself. I said to this girl, "Sorry, I couldn't help but overhear. You know, the first pair of sunglasses looked really nice on you, I think you should go with those." "Really?" was the response, with a big smile on her face. And then just like magic, she was completely convinced and bought the shades. She never met me before, didn't even ask my name, and for all she knows I could have been on my way to visit my parole officer. But she valued my opinion, that of a complete stranger, even though her boyfriend told her the exact same thing but she wouldn't listen to him.

Weird how humans work sometimes.

Comments:
SBP.....you are so naive!!!

It's like when you'll be asked if you think it would be a good idea to buy new dishes or new cushions for the sofa.

She's not asking you for your opinion...she's telling you we're getting them but making you feel like you have a say in the matter!!

Just learn the following phrase & use it to answer all questions asked by your significant other and you will be fine:

"Yes dear"

Good luck...
 
This comment has been removed by the author.
 
I wasn't going to comment on this blog as I didn't see a reason to, but then Anonymous (real brave) had to open their mouth.

Obviously Anonymous has an unfulfilling and uneventful relationship…I wouldn’t use those words BP, communication is key. How did I get so into this damit!?
 
I agree with Forts. Dan has never used that phrase, nor would I want him to. It sounds very demeaning. But I do agree that I ask questions on occasion where I'm not really looking for an opinion so much as reassurance. That's where it's gets tricky. I think the girl with the glasses valued your opinion *in addition* to her boyfriend's, not instead of.
 
I'm so with ya Forts. This anonymous advice is bad advice. It lacks integrity. You're better then that.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]