Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Cross-border Questions

I was listening to a work colleague go on about the great deals in the United States she's been getting by frequenting many of those outlet malls. Outside of groceries, almost all of her purchases of clothing, furniture, electronics, etc. are made south of the border. I joked to her she should just move to the USA. "Oh no, I can't do that, I wouldn't be able to stand living there!" She appreciates things such as free health care that Canada provides. But I was thinking to myself, if she spent as little money as she does towards Canadian businesses, is she getting a bit of a free ride? It's not like I've never made a purchase in the United States; sometimes you can get a great deal that otherwise your hometown can't provide. But should I feel guilty about it because I picked up in an Ipod in an American store?

Are we harming our economy when we actively decide not to give our money to a Canadian-based store? Don't we need to do so to make sure we have enough jobs for everyone, that enough taxes are collected for our schools & hospitals by shopping at local area merchants?

Maybe it's not such a big deal, and with the lousy exchange rate I doubt many people are contemplating a Christmas shopping spree in Syracuse any time soon. But still...should I feel bad for looking for the best deal for stuff at an international level?

Comments:
Well, by the time you drive down, spend the night in a hotel, eat your meals, pay duty, factor in the exchange rate one would have to wonder if there are any savings at all?
 
Agreed. I don't think the savings are going to be there as much as they were when the dollar was at par. Hopefully they'll stop for gas and lunch on the Canadian side, thus stimulating the economy.
 
I went down south recently, I don't think everything is a steal you have to be careful. ( I got season 3 of the office for $14!)I didn't stay in a hotel, and I was lucky even though I claimed everything I didn't pay duty. I do this maybe once a year.
 
Why should you feel guilty about cross border shopping? If you're worried about supporting the Canadian economy, then you should consider limiting your purchases to items that are invented, manufactured and sold in Canada.

Personally, I shop were convenience and value intersect, wherever that may be.

/rt.
 
When I hear people talking about cross boarder shopping I tend to think along the same lines you are. I don't think there is a wrong or right about it but I feel ok with staying in town and spending Canadian money in stores employing fellow Canadians.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]