Thursday, November 13, 2008

Rock Bottom

As I look over past blog entries, it's become evident that I haven't written a lot about my Sens nearly as much as I used to. Right now, it's hard to do so. Some might find it easy to write about them because they enjoy pointing out everything that is going wrong with the team and go on about what players needed to be traded of town to either start from scratch or save the season depending on how bad you think the Senators are. Myself, I don't take much pleasure in that.

There are simply too many players that I like that I don't want to see go. I like Alfie, Heatley, Spezza, Phillips, Volchenkov, Neil, Fisher...even if they're stinking it up. These guys have been around for a long time, I identify them with not just a sports franchise but the city I live in. But I wonder how many other fans feel the same way I do. I used to read message boards and visit rumour sites quite a bit and read what was going on in the mind of the internet smarks out there, but it's much too negative for my liking right now, so I stopped going. BTW, my personal favourite is when they take a player like Spezza, throw him under the bus for being a horrible player, then propose trading him for someone like Roberto Luongo or Eric Staal, in a way admitting he's in a category with the elite of the NHL.

So tonight, the Sens crashed and burned with a 3-1 loss to the worst team in the league, the lowly New York Islanders. The Isles had their THIRD string goalie in net and three of their regular d-men were missing. They almost seemed like they wanted to hand the game to Ottawa by taking stupid penalties one after the other in the final period, towards the end being assesed a five minute major for elbowing followed shortly by a slash giving a two-man advantage. And they still couldn't score. Boo-urns.

The loss wouldn't sting so much if they hadn't gotten spanked the night before 4-0 by the Habs. Luckily the NIN concert was the same night so I didn't have to subject myself to that debacle as well, but these losses are piling up and there is something seriously wrong with the team.

I have no answers on how to fix it right now, but if they do keep on losing, major changes are coming, whether I like them or not.

Comments:
Welcome to the feeling of being a Leafs fan for the past decade. High expectations and a lack of drive or talent to meet them.

I guess I've been conditioned to think this way, but as much as you love your roster, you have to think in two spaces:

1) Who're contributing now, and can they reasonably be expected to contribute for the next 2-3 years? Those are your core guys, you probably listed them at the start of your blog...

2) Who, outside of that list, can you trade on the basis of potential or past performance?

Well, anyways, that's how Murray should be thinking, and he probably is.

So, the only thing you can do is take it one day at a time, and enjoy every victory earned, because they used to come pretty easily and you probably took it for granted.

Watch the guys who play harder on the return game in NY, those are the guys who care about the team's performance the most, and the ones you should be focused on, because frankly, the rest of 'em are trade bait by now. Eugene's gonna be screaming if the team loses it's way to the 20-game mark.
 
And for some reason I am happy this morning with the hockey world. not sure why that would be???
 
Oh wait I remember now…6 to 1 and I believe the TKO will be handed to Lucic, should be O’lucic when playing in bean town.
 
Man, the screw jobs just keep coming. You won't even be able to watch the return game tomorrow as it's not on the TV schedule...
 
I get NESN just for the Bruins but alas I will be to busy to watch it. At least I got to see last nights.
 
I was sort of hoping the ass-kicking they got in Mtl would make them hungry last night to get a win, but that didn't happen. Teams are looking into the Sens and are enquiring about their players with their struggles no doubt. A guy like Vermette is a prime target who has a reasonable contract and may just need a fresh start to get going again.

I'm sort of glad Boston spanked Montreal 6-1, didn't hear a peep from Habs fans today.

Yeah, another Saturday night no show. I'd never thought I'd say this, but seeing how they'd respond to a dead last team that beat them would be interesting.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]