Friday, October 03, 2008

True Romance

I was discussing movies with some friends and we went over some flicks that had stellar casts. I mean, just absolutely STACKED. Perhaps at the time we didn't appreciate all the stars of the film in question, but in retrospect, trying to assemble them today would be impossible if they all took their asking price.

Immediately the movie that came to mind for me was True Romance. It was made back in 1993 and interestingly enough, the two main stars are perhaps the lesser of the entire cast. Here's a list of everyone who was in it:


Christian Slater
Patricia Arquette
Gary Oldman
Samuel Jackson
Dennis Hopper
Christopher Walken
Val Kilmer
Brad Pitt
Chris Penn
Michael Rapaport
Tom Sizemore
Bronson Pinchot (Yeah, it's Balki Bartokomous, but seeing him in a non-Balki role was kinda neat)
James Gandolfini

And Jack Black is even in a deleted scene playing a theater usher.

Anyway, perhaps for my generation, this lineup is pretty impressive and can't get much better.

Comments:
BP, I would have to agree. Great flick, great cast.
 
I didn't even talk about the flick did I!? I really, really thought it was good. I remember reading that the original script called for Alabama & Clarence to be killed off at the end, but director Tony Scott called up Tarantino and pleaded with him to let them live. He hesitated at first but relented. You really like the couple, you want to see them make it as they are caught up in something way over their heads. When you care enough about them that you want to see them make it out okay (and even let pass the hokey naming their son "Elvis" bit), that's the sign of a good film.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]