Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Worst Fashion Trend #5




Hmmm, it's 30C outside, the humidity is making everyone sweat, the sun is beating down on our skin...better BREAK OUT THE SCARVES!

If it's fall, winter, maybe even spring...okay, you want to look fashionable, by all means, put on your scarf (if you're really uppity, maybe you'll choose only ones made of silk).

But many are taking it too far. A couple of weeks ago while at a pub, a newcomer arrived at our table after walking down to meet us, and the first phrase out of her mouth was, "It's really hot out there!" So of course, because I have no idea what the latest fashion trends are, I say, "Well geez, why are you wearing a scarf!?" This is when it was explained to me it's fashionable to wear one in scorching heat. Huh? What? Who cares?!? It's summer people! When you have to sacrifice fashion for comfort, it's a waste of time. Do yourself a favour, save your scarf for winter, bare your neck, and enjoy your summer!

Comments:
I'm neither for nor against the scarf fashion statement, however many of the same arguments can be made about men's neckties. Sometimes they are just called for - comfortable or not.

I also find it interesting that in your recent blog about sexual orientation, you maintain a "who cares" attitude, yet this isn't the first time you've posted your opinion on what other people wear (eg. aviator sunglasses, loose fitting shirts, crocs and now scarves). I'm running out of things to wear around you Ben without worrying about offending you :)
 
I cant' wait to see you in your blublocker, maternity shirt, scarf and neon yellow croc ensemble Holly!

My point is though, it's one thing to be fashionable, but if fashion comes at the expense of comfort (such as wearing a scarf in 40 degree heat), then it just makes the wearer look stupid. At least for me anyway.

Crocs are funny, because for something to be fashionable, they should look good. But they look horrible! Who cares? Yeah maybe, but, it's something to talk about I guess!
 
Funny thing is Crocs were designed as a ‘beach’ shoe by the father of a friend of mine in BC. He later sold it to the company that has the name now and yadda yadda. They were meant to be a beach shoe for kayaker’s as if you have ever paddled there is nothing comfortable and that won’t get ruined when you are entering and exiting a boat. This was why we sold them at trailhead. They also mold to the feet to add extra support and other medical benefits.

I personally never bought them as I am not a paddler and thus had no ‘use’ for them. Plus I found them a little funny looking if you were not wearing them for their intended use. But them marketing comes along and ZANG! You have people in all walks of life (I really didn’t mean for a pun there) well, walking in these things day in and day out.

Personally unless something fits a specific need for me then I am not buying it just b/c. The scarf thing I really don’t care either way, but I will ask you this; if you were on a date with said girl and she showed up in 40° heat dawning a scarf would you tell her she looked stupid? Or would you complement her on her attire? Hey you never know what she might be thinking of your attire.
 
What I would say: nothing. I'd keep my big mouth shut!
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]