Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Random Stanley Cup Thoughts



- Detroit was the better team and I'm glad they were able to come out on top and win the Cup. It took them six games but that result is much too flattering for Pittsburgh. I will say this about the Penguins: They are terrific with less than 2 minutes left after they are outplayed for the majority of the previous 58.

- It was cool to see the players hoist the Cup in elation and seeing their excitement after finally winning the series. However, if you're a Pittsburgh fan, why would you stick around to watch? This team shattered your dreams, they are parading around with Lord Stanley and they are LAUGHING at you! I'd exit the arena post-haste, maybe toss a beer bottle or two at the players (I keed, I keed).

- Glad we finally don't have to hear another Gary Roberts story or see another documentary about him. He's a fourth liner, he's old, he's a cheap shot artist and takes needless penalties. But don't worry Toronto, I'm sure he'll make it in the Hall of Fame for his achievements in 1989.

- So if you are a GM of an NHL team and wanted to build a contender, how would you do it? Load it with European players, emphasize skill over grit, make sure the Captain is Swedish, and have a goaltender who's no better than average? You wouldn't have said that after Anaheim won last year, would you?

- My buddies and I put together three different playoff pools, we had a draft format, a pick any 20 players pool, as well as a bracket challenge where you picked who you'd think would win each playoff match up to the eventual Stanley Cup champion. I was the only one who had a Detroit-Pittsburgh final lined up as well as being the only person who picked the Red Wings to take the Cup so that helped me win that one, I lost by one point in the "top 20" challenge thanks to Sergei Gonchar's last minute goal, and did horribly in the draft pool. But in the end, profitable, so it's all good!

- Although I'm not a fan, I'm happy for Rob since he's a big Red Wings supporter since the days of Steve Yzerman, and I'm also happy for Steve & Janice as Harbour Grace, Newfoundland native Dan Cleary will be making a trip there with the Cup and that should be a huge party.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]