Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Random SBP Thoughts

- I'll never feel guilty about any downloaded MP3 again. Did you hear Madonna signed an exclusive deal with a ticket, ahem, "broker"(StubHub, an affiliate of Ebay) to get a cut of the profits from the huge mark-ups sales of her tickets. Yeah, she needs the extra money doesn't she? Hey Holly, I need to put Hard Candy on my Ipod stat, make me a copy already!

- I watched two overtime periods last night and I was done. What I saw was Detroit dominating Penguins in every facet of the game (except for that one weak goal against Osgood, which I believe was the Penguins fourth shot of the third period). I can't see how Pittsburgh, playing the way they are, has any chance of winning both games 6 and 7.

- The Leafs minus Mats Sundin for next year seems more and more likely. Without him in their lineup, barring a big free agent signing (and I don't think any will want to play for them if they want a run in the playoffs) I can seriously see the Leafs finishing dead last in the league. Think about it: Who will lead them in scoring with Sundin gone: Nik Antropov? Jason Blake? Would you take any of those guys in the first four-five rounds of a hockey pool?

- Speaking of Sundin, how did he win the Mark Messier leadership award this year? He's a good player no question, but if your team hasn't made the playoffs three years straight, you haven't really led anything.

- SBP bought some tickets to some upcoming events: Chris Rock will do his stand-up schtick at the NAC and yes, in August I'll be heading to see Def Leppard at Scotiabank place with opening act Billy Idol. I predict good times!

- Can someone explain to me how oil companies, with increasing prices of oil due to "supply shortages" amongst other things, can still make manage to make record profits? If Futureshop wanted to sell 50" plasma TVs but only had three to sell, they wouldn't be in business very long.

- Ultimate season started a few weeks ago. We are losing, yes, but we are having fun. At the same time, having only a couple of losses during the winter and finishing 1st was a pretty sweet deal.

- I'm glad Senator Obama won the Democratic nomination for President. Is it possible that Americans can still drop the ball though and elect McCain next election? One of McCain's promises included staying in Iraq until 2013, woo-hoo.

Comments:
I think your economic scenario should be more like: Let's say everyone's spent money on awesome HDTVs from Futureshop to watch the upcoming NFL season. Then let's speculate that all the cable and satellite providers have an agreement that they're going to offer the same number of games on the same number of channels to you as before, but raise subscription rates a few cents each day. Sure, you could just not watch the games, but then you're inconvenienced and wasted all this money on a big-ticket item that is going unused. Plus, it's not a huge hike on any one day, it's just a few cents, which is easier to justify in your own mind.

Hmmm, and I guess watching TV will destroy forests and the ozone layer somehow.

Okay, this theory is incomplete, but you get how it's closer to the oil industry than your Futureshop angle...
 
re: MP3s.

What about the little guy SBP? I'm flattered when people rip off my songs, but as my favourite 'marriedtothesea.com' t-shirt reads: "Shakespeare gots to get paid, son."

Plan-B
 
I guess my point was oversimplified, but I was trying to get at the fact to make money, you need a product to sell. So if the oil industry claims they have less to sell, in theory that means less revenue, UNLESS they mark up the prices (like they have been) to make up the difference. So, my theory goes that maybe they should break even at best with their bottom line before these shortages occurred with the price mark ups to compensate, but definitely should NOT be better off.

Plan-B: Your point is well stated. The indie artist without the luxury of charging $400 for tickets needs to get some form of revenue. Can we trust the public on this matter, I mean, as stated, I don't feel too guilty for artists like Madonna who'd use the money I'd give to buy another ivory backscratcher, but I'd take the time to pay the local artist for their work recognizing this is the way they pay for their rent. I paid cash money for controller.controller cds after all!
 
I see what you're getting at BP, but you're foregetting that the current culture's demand for Oil is inelastic, and therefore the scarcity means justification for higher prices.

And this gosh-darn market-based economy means that they *can* improve their bottom line and we oil-addicted so-and-so's will have the same choice we've always had: Take it or leave it. I think the oil companies are just discovering exactly how inelastic demand really is.

And we all know that Exxon-Mobil sharholders gots to get maximized return on investment per share, son.
 
I'm not saying my theory is correct, I am saying my theory is completely shattered. I'm just calling bullshit on the industry as a whole. They're are making massive profits because they are taking advantage of the world's reliance on oil and we are all suffering as a result. Everything from food to transportation to energy is escalating in price and there is no end in sight. This is one reason why capitalism and privatization can fail us.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]