Thursday, June 26, 2008

Random hockey thoughts (starting with the Sens)....

- The Sens defence, as of today, looks like this: Philips-Volchenkov, Lee-Meszaros, Schubert-Nycholat. I can't picture Luke Richardson coming back. The point of this, is that I wouldn't feel too confident with this group. I'm reallying hoping Bryan Murray can land Brian Campbell July 1st.

- Brian McGrattan will always be remembered for taking out Tie Domi to start off the 2005-06 season. Now, he has a reputation similar to that of Ray Emery's (off the ice). Probably a good move to let him go to Phoenix, he wasn't getting much ice time and his absence might do some good for friend Jason Spezza.

- Who backs up Martin Gerber? Is Brian Elliott ready? Should the Sens sign someone? Because if Elliott isn't ready, there aren't too many goalies available. (Ty Conklin? Dwayne Roloson? Alex Auld? Yeesh.)

Other NHL thoughts:

- I think the Canadiens won't sign Mats Sundin, at least until after July 1st if they do. When was the last time Sundin rushed a decision? I think he'll go to the Red Wings (wouldn't complain if Ottawa signed him).

- Almost all of my co-workers who have Sens season tickets said they would NOT renew if Darcy Tucker is picked up by the team.

- So Vincent Lecavalier signs a new deal that will pay him $8.55 million a season for the next 9 years. I'm still trying to figure out what the lockout was for.

- Marian Hossa will likely get paid at least $8 million per season by whoever signs him, making more money than Dany Heatley, Jarome Iginla, Joe Thornton and Pavel Datsyuk amongst others, all players I would take before him. Luckily for him the free agents aren't in huge supply this year.

- I can't believe I read Alexei Yashin is looking to come back to NHL, and still thinks his worth more than the league minimum

- Brenden Morrow blew me away with his play during these playoffs, even though Dallas didn't get out of the Conference Final. If he makes Team Canada in 2010, I won't have any complaints.

Comments:
So, do you think Toronto's going to go after Vermette or Filppula from Detroit? They're gonna need a centre when Sundin leaves and Antropov takes the first line role... Yeesh.

I agree about Sundin, there's no way he's helping out Toronto by agreeing to a contract before July 1st. And I also cannot see him in a Leafs uniform next year.

Your Sens-fan co-workers should relax about Tucker. He had an off year last year but showed some pretty good offensive touches the previous season. I think if he gets 10-12 minutes a game, you'd be happy to have him.
 
I really hope, for your team's sake, that the Leafs don't throw away more draft picks by giving offer sheets to RFAs. They need to rebuild, and since they aren't contending this year it's not the time to be losing more picks. There isn't much available, they could try to sign Demitra, Langkow, Morrison...I know it'll hurt this year but they're going to have to go through this before they get competitive again.
 
Well, depending on what the RFA's are looking for salary-wise, I don't know that a second or third rounder is all that big a sacrifice. But I see your point. I hope they learned their lesson from the Stamkos sweepstakes and take a run at the Tavares Lottery, while still working on fundamentals and a new defensive (boring, trappy) style.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]