Friday, June 06, 2008

Can you believe it?

The Hockey Night In Canada theme song might not be used again next season! I read that the composer's representatives and CBC's attempts to reach a new agreement after it expired on Wednesday have not been going well. Apparently there's a lawsuit that may be filed against CBC, for what reason I don't know.

Apparently, Dolores Claman, the composer, gets paid $500 each time the song is played on the air, and she claims that she is asking for virtually the same deal she had in place, but was told that CBC "wanted to move in a new direction."

The CBC is likely underestimating the public backlash that will happen if they don't reach a deal. How can Hockey Night in Canada be the same without its song? No matter how good the new theme song would be, which apparently will be chosen in some contest, no one will like it better than the original. I hope this gets fixed soon.

Anyway, I'll be off this weekend to Niagara Falls, good times! Will resume the blog when I get back.

Comments:
I believe that the lawsuit was filed in 2004 by the composer who felt that CBC was over-using the song.

I wouldn't be surprised if this just isn't negotiating tactics from one side or the other. You'll probably be hearing the HNIC song next season.

Or they could just buy the rights off of TSN to use that godawful Bryan Adams song they trotted out when they got their national broadcast rights...

"We're gonna win, we're gonna win!"

Lame.

Hope you're gonna win at the ball tourney buddy!
 
I will listening to the radio yesterday and they mentioned the huge interest they were receiving about this story. Something like 300 + emails had been received while at the same time 30 emails regarding updates on the Maher Arar story (both were news stories yesterday). I am so glad Canadians have their priorties straight! :)
 
Hopefully we don't have to hear the Saturday song from Nickelback...........kill me now! I just said Nickelback.
 
Yeah, and it's an Elton John cover on top of it all... Yeesh.
 
I think all my Guitar Hero buddies should start composing a new theme song...immediately.
 
...and remember, anything more than three chords is just plain showing off.
 
Rest assured you'll hear it...just not on CBC. CTV just announced they have purchased the rights to it, so you'll hear it a'plenty on TSN.

I'll miss that Bryan Adams song.

/rt.
 
Ah RT, you scooped my scoop! Boo!
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]