Saturday, June 28, 2008

Brad

I've been following all the World Series of Poker results since the tournaments started on May 30. The preliminary events are winding down, and the $10,000 no-limit Main Event is starting up next week on July 3rd. They've prepared themselves to be ready for a unbelievable 12,000 players but many say it'll likely be just under 8,000, which is still a huge number.

Of course, I'd love to be there, and I can't, but I've been emailing someone I've never met in person offering support in hopes he'll do well. His name is Brad, from Ottawa, one of those friend-of-a-friend connections who qualified three years in a row on Pokerstars to play in the Main Event. I got in touch with him after I decided to go play in the World Series, asking for advice which he graciously offered. Last year, he did really well, being a chip leader after Day 1 of the tournament, but unfortunately he busted out the next day. Still, he did very well considering the numbers, and hopes to rebound and finish better this year.

Brad decided to play a couple of $1,500 WSOP tournaments before the main event and today played his first one. Unfortunately, he had the worst luck. He made a set of 6s on the turn after the A-J-3 flop was checked and all the chips got into the middle, and unfortunately his opponent held pocket Aces for the higher set. Ugh! He wrote to me and asked if I could have gotten away from it, and I told him no way. If you flop a set you're getting all your chips in; if you're afraid of set over set you shouldn't play. Maybe there are some psychics out there who could have, but I doubt it.

In any case, Brad plays again this Monday before playing in the Main Event. I'm wishing him luck and I'll pass on updates as I hear them. Since I can't be there, this is the next best thing, and I sure hope I can tell you about a bracelet he picked up.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]