Saturday, June 21, 2008

The 2008 NHL draft



So the 1st round of the NHL draft was last night, and I pretty much got what I expected. Some of the highlights and lowlights include:

- Not getting a picture with the Stanley Cup. Over an hour before the draft started and they already stopped people from lining up for it. Boo!

- Listening to Eugene Melnyk give a speech. For someone who talks to the media all the time, SBP should give him a few lessons on how to speak into the mic.

- Gary Bettman getting booed. I was saying to Steve I have mixed feelings about booing the guy, as I really do think he worked very hard to make sure the Sens stayed in Ottawa. But eventually mob mentality took over: BOOOOOOOOO!

- Bettman getting cheered every time he announced a new trade. Funny how he looked taken aback when the anticipation of the crowd was evident ready for the news. The Jokinen and Tanguay deals sent a huge buzz through the crowd.

- Wayne Gretzky coming up to the podium to make a selection. A standing ovation for #99. You know they wouldn't do that in Nashville.

- Alfredsson announcing the Senators selection. Alfie chants aplenty. And the drama was built up after the Sens traded to move up to the #15 selection from the #18 pick. I had no idea who this Erik Karlsson kid Ottawa picked is (then again, I didn't really know hardly any of the selections) but the talk seems to be he has the potential to be a star.

- Boos every time a Leafs sweater or Cliff Fletcher found their way on the jumbotron.

- The boos for GM Brian Burke when he made his way to the stage (His funny response, "It's great to be back in Ottawa!"). I explained to Steve it's not the fact Burke will likely be the Leafs GM next year, but the fact that in 2007 he was the head of the organization that shattered the dreams of every Sens fan.

We stayed until Edmonton made their pick at #22, then headed back after being there for about 4 hours. So, all in all, it was just nice to have a taste of hockey before the season starts. But I am glad I didn't have to pay for it!

Comments:
Sorry I missed it buddy. Just wanted to point out a few things too.

Mr. Canada, Gary Bettman, may have 'helped' keep the franchise here in Ottawa, but his reasons weren't all magnanimous. I would argue that he couldn't afford to have a team relocate at that point. Hence his support. His subsequent roadblocking of Basillie more than proves he has no desire to 'grow' the game any further in Canada. From a TV perspective, I could understand...if they had good TV deal down there (or were close to one) but they don't. The goof has to go.

I'm glad you mentioned Alfie. It was a great 'pop' watching it on TV later too. The crowd was eating it up. But nice faux pas by Daniel. "Thanks for a great season." Huh? A great season? I hardly think so, pal. I'm sure he meant "Thanks for your support." But I almost peed my pants when I heard it because that wasn't how it sounded.

Oh, and Nashville would have given Gretz a standing 'O' too. They did last year. EVERYONE loves Wayner. I don't think Stevie Y would have gotten the same reaction, but Wayne is pretty universal in his appeal. Except in my heart. Freakin Oilers....
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]