Tuesday, May 27, 2008

What the Hell Happened?

I thought we were going to witness a memorable Stanley Cup final that would last 6 or 7 games with many heading to overtime, a battle of defence vs offence, the irresistible force meeting the immovable object, the past vs the future of the NHL...and so on. Instead, we get an ass-kicking, where two of the supposed best players in the NHL, Sydney Crosby & Evgeni Malkin, are nowhere to be seen. The defensive corps led by Swedish captain Nicklas Lidstrom is simply outplaying the Pittsburgh Penguins in every department. The Red Wings are the class of the NHL and are proving this beyond all expectations. And as NHL fans, we deserve better than what Pittsburgh is giving us.

Is there anything Pittsburgh can do to come back? You know, the way the series is being played out, it's kinda like the Senators earlier on, with the Penguins assuming that dubious distinction while Detroit flexes it's muscle as the Senators opponent, appearing ready to dispatch their opposition in four quick games. Certainly we should expect some life out of the Crosby show, no? Guess will see once the series heads to his hometown.

On the upside of this debacle (including a couple of hockey pool victories, thank you very much), I don't think we'll hear much more about Gary Roberts. Sportsnet ran a poll where they asked fans if a returning Roberts or the Red Wings' Johan Franzen would have the greatest impact as they return to their team for game 2. Keeping in mind Franzen was leading the playoffs in scoring until a head injury in the Conference final, 51% CHOSE FRICKIN' ROBERTS, a regular healthy scratch during these playoffs! Obviously, a lot of Leafs fans still think Roberts is in Toronto and it's 2001. Folks, that's embarrassing: Franzen is a scoring machine; Roberts needs to be put on life support. But God bless him for punching Franzen in the head knowing full well he had a concussion, or handing out some more fists to Pavel Datsyuk (yeah, Pavel is known for dropping the mitts, isn't he?) as the game was winding down. Toronto media and fans call him gritty...I call him a cheater. He didn't do anything of note except find himself in the penalty box.

We all talked about parity in the NHL and how every team is very close in competing with one another. That might hold true in a particular division or conference, but the way this final is playing out, I couldn't disagree more. It is very obvious who's the best, and who's not, in the 2008 edition of the battle for the Stanley Cup.

Comments:
I dunno, being "gritty" is supposed to be Roberts' game, and he's not the only one who plays that way. But he also had 14 penalty minutes assessed in that one game, so it's not like he's getting a free pass on the whole... But I'm with you, the finals have been mighty underwhelming. When's football start?

Just wanted to take a minute to continue my crusade to get people to think about backing up their data. Anyone with a digital camera who doesn't do traditional prints and just dumps photos on their computer from time to time really needs to do this. I wrote a blog about my recent hard drive failure that I hope helps drive the point home.

BP: your comment about unstable rebooting of your machine set off alarm bells too. I hope your stuff is backed up as well!
 
Oh he's not the only one, but he's the only one playing at the moment. I guess I'm still annoyed at the Gary Roberts documentaries they aired during the Sens-Pens series.

Yeah, I need to get around doing some backup. Guess I thought the moment my PC craps out that's when I'll get a new one...then again, I don't want to waste a month putting all my songs back on Itunes so I should just do it!
 
After watching Holmstrom hack and slash his way behind the ref's back during faceoffs last night, I suspect there are enough envelope-pushers on each side to even things out...

As for your iTunes comment: I found a program that will rescue the songs from your ipod and send it back to your new/repaired computer. The only hiccup I encountered was with the licensed stuff that you bought through the iTunes store.

Oddly, they still showed up in my playlist in iTunes, so I clicked play, and it then asked if I wanted to authorize the new computer/iTunes installation to play those songs as well (you can do this on 5 computers max, according to Apple). So, even though I rescued my data last night, most of my music collection was safe regardless.

I think photos and other mementos are the most irreplaceable items on most machines, those should be the first thing you back-up to CD/DVD.
 
I agree - G1 and G2 where underwhelming. But last night's game was a treat. The third period, in particular, was some of the most entertaning hockey I've seen played this year. Let's hope both teams can continue at this pace.

Stan, I feel your pain. After having 2 WesternDigital drives blow up on me over the last 2 years, I am now a regular paranoid backup'er. So much so that I dump everything to a secondary external drive, as well as write it to DVD. The look on Erin's face when I told her we'd lost some digi photos was enough to put the fear of never-going-to-let-that-happen-again into me.

Ultimately I'd like to move to online storage, but just don't have the time to look into this right now.

/rt.
 
Yup, Game three was a lot closer to what I was hoping to see from the start. As they saying goes, you're not in trouble until you lose a home game.

" The look on Erin's face when I told her we'd lost some digi photos was enough to put the fear of never-going-to-let-that-happen-again into me."

I got that exact same look from Kerri. And vowed to do everything I could to get that stuff back. I got lucky, but I plan on being pretty paranoid about it from now on.
 
You suckers with your wives and photos! :-)

Game 3 was a fun game, regardless of what I think of Roberts. That's what I was hoping for at the start, hopefully it'll continue.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]