Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Money Changes Everything



I've entered a number of different hockey pools for the playoffs and, since my Senators are long gone, gives me incentive to cheer on other teams and boo others. Wanting one team to win and the other to fall short no doubt adds a lot more enjoyment to watching sports.

The pool I want to win most involves turning a $5.00 entry fee into over $600 if you manage to come in first. As of last night (I check every two days after all four series' games have been played) I was in first place out of nearly 200 people. What I did was load up on players from teams that I didn't pick elsewhere and weren't favourites: The Dallas Stars, Colorado Avalanche, Washington Capitals, and the NY Rangers.

Hardly anyone else picked from these teams, so I fared well, even though the Capitals failed to advance. If there's a Stars-Rangers final, hey, cha-ching!

But to make things easier (and since that outcome is hardly guaranteed with the Penguins up 2-0) it would help if other teams faltered, including Montreal failing to get by Philadelphia.

Now let me tell you right off the bat: I hate the Philadelphia Flyers. They are a bunch of dirty cheap shot artists and it's no small feat to be handed the most suspensions in the NHL this season. But, Montreal Canadiens fans drive me nuts, much like Leafs fans (maybe not quite as much). It mostly has to do with living in Ottawa constantly being reminded of who was here first before the Senators arrived. My days of being a level-headed hockey fan who'd be happy for any Canadian team to win the Cup is long gone (well, if it went to Vancouver, Calgary or Edmonton, I'd be okay with that).

Add to the fact I have $600 to win in a hockey pool, a Flyers victory would eliminate a lot of players from the rosters of my competition.

But last night...watching Downie trip Carey Price...Richard punch Halak in the face...and to top them all, Derian Hatcher brutally elbowing Bouillon in the back of the head causing a 5 minute major and Montreal getting two goals on the resulting powerplay. How can I justify cheering for Philly with this type of play?

Money. It corrupts me. Go Flyers!

Comments:
Make sure you follow the rules. If you make money off of your pool, you have to invest in either merchandise from the sport that won you the cash or put it towards your gambling bankroll. I wanna see a $600 pokerstars balance after you win it all buddy.
 
...and it goes without saying that I don't want to see another Sens jersey, so you'll have to think outside the box if you go the merchandising route.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]