Thursday, April 03, 2008

Mark Bell Hits Daniel Alfredsson - Apr 3 08

Well, unfortunately the Sens victory tonight was ruined with this one hit. Was it dirty? I can't tell, it was either a hit with a shoulder which is legal or a forearm which would warrant suspension. The guys on the Team 1200 seemed to defend the hit and say it was a "hockey hit". Maybe it was, the angle of the camera obscures the contact point on his arm. When Alfredsson talks to the media about it I'll believe what he says.

In any case, another reason why I loathe Leafs fans, it was absolutely disgusting listening to them cheer while Alfie lay on the ice with an injury for all we know could have been one that ended his career. When he was able to get up and skate to the bench under his own power, you can actually hear the fans boo him. I have never, ever witnessed another NHL rink actually boo someone who was just seriously hurt turn out to be okay. Maybe you can defend the hit, but you cannot defend the fans' reactions.

With Alfie and Mike Fisher confirmed to be out of the lineup tomorrow, this will either be a rallying point for the Sens to come out on top or, if they fall into old habits, tomorrow's game will become a bigger blowout than we've become accustomed to. They can control their own fate by locking up one point tomorrow. Just one point! Good thing I have tickets to tomorrow's game. Or maybe not. If they can conjure up the emotion and hard work they displayed tonight against their most hated rival, I think they'll be okay and overcome the loss of their teammates. It has been missing a lot though lately, so, I'll just watch, run by hand through my hair multiple times and try not to get an ulcer while taking in tomorrow's game.


Comments:
I totally agree about the fans, it was pretty low-class to cheer the injury and boo the guy when leaving. I was ashamed to be a Leaf fan when I heard that that happened.

...but I bet it happens in Philly, too.
 
Sometimes I forget I lump some even-keel Leafs supporters when I make sweeping statements like that...sometimes my anger can get the better of me.

Good point about the Flyers.
 
The fans in Toronto were pathetic. Almost as pathetic as Darcy Tucker who was caught on tape mouthing "watch out for your knee" to Dany Heatley.

I hope that was Tucker's last act as a Leaf b/c he's an absolute fraud with zero class.
 
Agreed, the culture of that team's rotten and needs a change. Ship Tucker, Sundin, McCabe and Bell outta there.

BTW: Way to back into the playoffs, any Sens going in the first round of the playoff draft, ya think?
 
I was at last night's game. "Highly unlikely" is the response to your question.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]