Sunday, April 27, 2008

Le Ottawa Poker Championships

I didn't make too big a deal of entering my latest poker tourney that, this time, wasn't in Las Vegas or Atlantic City but in the cozy confines of Ottawa. I thought, maybe if I just kept it low key, maybe I'll do a little better. There were just over 400 people who entered, I ended up in about 85th or so. John finished in 50th place, which was the first position to win anything, so he won a free buy-in to next year's Ottawa championships. When you think I finished 1/2 way through the field in my first tourney, 2/3 of the way through the 2nd, then this one about 4/5 give or take...getting better! (Just trying to find positives, m-kay?)

So the tournament: They didn't have enough volunteers when you checked in so it took about 30 minutes after the 1pm start before we actually played any cards. And they didn't have dealers: the players did the dealing. Not horrible, except they used a two deck system so as soon as a hand was over, there was a deck of cards ready to go. The 2nd table I was at, the guy in front of me said one of his fingers had a pulled tendon or something so I had to shuffle two times every circuit. Boo. It was just a pain to shuffle, then it was your turn to act and you'd have to put the deck you were shuffling down to play your hand. Kind of a nuisance.

The blind structure was great though, we started with 5000 in chips with blinds starting at 5/10. They'd last 30 minutes, but would go up in small amounts (next was 10/20, 15/30, 25/50, 35/70 <--- yes 35/70, 50/100, 75/150 and so on) so it wasn't an all-in fest. Marc Karim, the pro from Ottawa who finished in the top 5 in EPT events 3 or 4 times, he played and if you busted him out you'd win $250 which was neat. He lasted about 1/2 the field.

Some hands I played: It just seemed like there would be more bad luck than good today. I had pocket Kings...c'mon, Kings! It was raised, then I raised from the SB, then I got re-raised the minimum. Geez. I thought, well, he has A-K or pocket Aces, if there's an ace on the flop that's it, I'll fold. So sure enough, the Ace was there, I checked it down to the river, he bet out and I folded the Kings face up, and he showed me trip Aces. I guess I lost about the minimum possible so I should be happy about that, but, frick, still sucked.

I raised with jacks and got called by a clown holding 10-6 suited. He got a third ten on the river, but he didn't bet much when he made his full boat so I called a 5-1 odds bet knowing I was beat, but wanting to know what he was holding. I was sort of miffed by this sort of play, but I guess that's how it goes sometimes.

I raised with A-Q suited, and got re-raised again by the BB who was the same guy who had Aces on me earlier. I didn't have a good feeling about it so I folded, and he turned up A-J suited. I thought to myself: Man, this just isn't your day.

So my last hand I got screwed again with A-Q (A-Q was also the hand that busted me out in Atlantic City). The big stack raised with what would be revealed to be A-J suited, although I wasn't terribly worried about his raise since it was his 4th raise in a row. Another guy called, which left him with slightly more than 1/2 his chips which made me think why he just didn't push the remainder of his chips in? I decided to go all-in after much thought as the blinds were at 900-1800 and I had about less than 7,000 left (the highest amount I had was about 12,000 in chips, and I would go up and down between that and 4000 chips for most of the tournament). The big stack pushed in all his chips, so I thought, damn, he has a real hand, maybe Kings but as I mentioned he just had A-J. Then the other guy pushed all his chips in. Ugh. He had A-K suited and the best hand. But the flop came:

5-5-J

So the Jacks held up and knocked us both out.

I almost mucked my A-Q, but I couldn't do it. I felt desperate again. I guess that's something I have to work on, but, with other hands that I was just bullied out, I don't know, thought it was time to make a stand.

And that's the end of my story! I'm getting closer, maybe, just maybe, I can look forward to a money finish. When's the next tournament?

Comments:
You had to shuffle your own decks? Bush League! Sorry to hear you didn't make it to the prize money though...
 
Keep practising Ben, and maybe some day you too can be a Las Vegas tournament (2nd place) champion like me.
 
DB, you are my idol!
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]