Monday, April 28, 2008

Consumer Helplessness



I think people go too far when they say high gas prices is good for the environment, as it will persuade everyone to seek out alternatives other than gasoline and thus do Mother Nature good.

Well, there is a bit of truth there, but for the moment, these environmentally-friendly alternatives aren't as readily available as we all would want.

It is completely unrealistic to think a family can get by without a vehicle. Yes, you can car pool (using another person's car, that uses gas) or take public transportation (a bus, that yes, also uses gas) to get to work, but to visit friends, family, go grocery shopping, drive little Kevin to soccer practice, pick up little Finn from daycare, etc, you need a car. And that's the thing...cities are getting larger and larger every day and to get to where we need, society has created a place requiring fast transportation.

Everything we consume is tied into oil in some way. Whether we actually burn it up after we fill up our gas tank, buy tickets for the right to be a passenger in a jet-fueled 747, or purchase clothes that were transported by large truck, we are dependent on fossil fuels every day. I don't think we like the idea that we are, but that's the way it is. And I feel rather powerless in a lot of these aspects, I mean, should I feel guilty that I bought plane tickets knowing full well my vacation is doing harm to the environment? If there was a non-fossil fueled plane available, I'd be glad to take it. But there isn't, and I don't really have another choice.

So, I personally believe the oil companies don't mind the "high price is good for the environment" rhetoric because they know no one is switching to any other alternatives anytime soon because there are none readily available. These companies are raking in BILLIONS of dollars IN PROFIT each year. Not revenues...profit. The oil market reacts to so-called "fears", whether some Sultan in some country we've never heard of kicks the bucket, or because some oil refinery shuts down for a whopping three days for repairs, by raising oil prices non-stop. It's crazy, and in my opinion completely artificial, but it still drives the costs up, and there's nothing we can do about it. We've read countless articles about how the prices of commodities such as wheat & rice are skyrocketing, and a lot of it is tied into the price of oil.

If I had a choice, I'd like to buy an electric car. I've seen prototypes of electric vehicles (the above is the Chevy Volt) but none seem forthcoming to purchase anytime soon. I've read they're "years" away. For me, they can't come soon enough.

Urban planners should make efforts to create communities that do not require an abundance of vehicle transportation, and instead make it more "green" with more sidewalks, bicycle paths and close access to places such as grocery stores and parks so we can regularly leave our car in the driveway. Again though, we are powerless here. How can I influence creating more eco-friendly communities? I have no formal education in this field, no contacts and for the most part, the majority of us live in communities that are decades old. Are we suppose to knock down our homes and start from scratch?

I'm going off on tangents I suppose, but I guess what I'd like to see is the government step in and mandate that corporations & the like do things such as sell only Energy Star compliant goods and appliances, have electric, hybrid and/or hydrogen-fueled cars make up the majority of new vehicles manufactured, and designate new communities to be built as eco-friendly. Corporations won't do these things voluntarily, and I think government is the only real power that can force these changes to happen.

Is this unreasonable?

Comments:
BP I agreed with most of what you said and believe that governments require more initiative when it comes to this topic. But what gets you votes keeps you in office and unfortunately pressuring big Auto to change their ways will not keep you in office, so the environment and we as individuals suffer for it.

But there are a great deal of alternatives and as I wrote in my
blog gas prices rising will hopefully force those daily commuters to choose the bus or car pooling if they can. There are also vehicle alternatives as car companies are beginning to see a new market; Hybrids.

Toyota, Honda and Ford to name a few have hybrids available. I have seen many Toyoto Prius’ -my neighbour has one actually- around and hybrid Camrys, minis and as always tons of VWs. There are the choices out their and you are not helpless.

Not to attack you directly but it is rather easy as you have a gas guzzling Jeep. The good thing is that you live in an area where you can walk to work, but you still need to drive places and if you sold that Jeep and bought a fuel efficient vehicle you would be doing a great deal to help the situation.

Being environmental people -as much as we can as we can always do better- Tracy and I noticed -and I will have to agree with her skeptical outlook on this- is that being ‘Green’ is a fad right now. Although on the surface that is a good thing as more and more people are creating green habits, but as Tracy said fads slowly die off, see; pet rocks, see; water beds, see; being green in a few years.

Although some might maintain their good habits for the most part it will probably be lost. And that is to bad as the trend will fade as people will not put the effort in to being green. I am far, far away from a granola, hippie tree hugger but I do as much as I can to help and we can all help if we make the effort.
 
P.S. Forgot to mention that I didn’t mean just individuals will treat this as a fad but so will companies. Companies see purchasing green products at the moment as trendy. But when the trend slows down the non-green companies to begin with will go back to their old non-sustainable ways to ensure sales and save costs.
 
Well, you called me out on the Jeep, and I can't exactly defend it, for sure. But, like you said, I don't drive nearly as much as others (I put maybe 10,000 kms a year on it). It's hard for me to justify right now giving it up for another car that I'd barely use, but in the back of my mind the next vehicle I get will definitely be a hybrid (hopefully electric cars will be readily available by the time I decide to get a new one).

It's possible thinking "green" is a fad, but once we get products that use less energy or give off less emissions, it wouldn't make any sense to revert back to environment damaging products. And you have to think, since we aren't seeing much improvement to the earth's biosphere, this will always be a pressing issue and won't go away. I hope at least, anyway.
 
Hopefully we can see Ontario get out of the business of generating electricity from coal or Nuclear power. The car is here, it's ready but it's slow and uses batteries which have a short life duration and contain hazardous materials. Right now if we were allowed to use them, I'm pretty sure "the grid" would crumple.

On a good note, I was speaking with one of my gaggle of girls last night and found out some of them managed to save $300-400 every two months on their energy bill! All they did was change all their light bulbs to the new ones, started turning off their computers and lights when not in use. It was that easy for them to make a big difference in their energy consumption.

One more thing... I've got a bunch of cleaning bottles up for grabs to anyone who wants them. I found and have started using a microfiber cloth with silver in it to clean my house. Silver is antibacterial and kills anything picked up by the cloth within two hours. It's picks up everything. Kitchen counter, bathrooms, floors, walls, mirrors... everything is cleaned with water! The cloth's are as efficient as wiping your kitchen counter with lysol disposable wet cloths or a sponge using vim or shinning up your windows with windex. I spray no chemical cleaners... ever! Nothing but water.

Do what you can and keep your eyes and ears on new opportunities to improve.

Here's hoping the cost of the hybrid's come down soon cause my car is gonna tumble within a year or two.

Cheers,
KP
 
You have educated me well in the field of Microfiber. I will have to get some cloths and not bother anymore with the Windex, Vim, etc. Every bit helps!
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]