Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Rock Bottom


You know, for a team that was four games away from winning a Stanley Cup about 8 months ago, they sure are playing like last year's 102 games were nothing more than a complete fluke.

I have no idea what's wrong with these guys. Is it John Paddock's system (and someone please tell me what it is. Jacques Martin was defense. Bryan Murray was work ethic spiced with creativity. What's Paddock's system?)? Is it the handling of the Emery/Gerber situation? Is it Emery for showing up late to practice? Is Bryan Murray just a horrible GM? Does Ottawa not have enough talent? Is it the defense? The offense? Are players playing injured? Is it the late run to June that's making them lethargic? I have no clue, but watching yesterday's SBP birthday debacle game against the Leafs and tonight's 4-0 spanking versus Boston in which the team showed absolutely no interest in winning, I don't know, I think I've stopped thinking they have any chance of going all the way. Looks like they'll slip to 6th or 7th place and it'll be followed by a first round exit. I'd send in a request to get my money back for the tickets I still have remaining (interestingly enough, against the Leafs and Bruins) but there are no refunds. I can't defend these guys anymore. And if this makes any sense, I used the last $80 or so dollars in my Paypal account to buy a white XL Sens jersey off Ebay that was on sale. Yeah, guess it's easy to figure out why it was sold at half price.

By the way, you may have noticed I'm using the old logo in this blog entry. I'm hoping for a return to last year's effort.

In any case, I'll take the time now to end on a positive note and thank everyone for the birthday wishes yesterday. Good friends more than help make up for disappointments displayed by your local sports team.

Stupid Senators.

Comments:
Hard to go back to basics with less than 20 games remaining, but I think it's the best chance they've got.

Name your number one goaltender (and I don't care which one), get him talking with the D-corps on how they should approach opposition on the attack, and how/when the forwards should jump in, then build out from there.

It's pretty obvious from all the barking from Gerber last night that this team isn't a team.

I don't think Paddock's the (only) reason, but I think he needs to be fired just to get the guys' attention, and refocused on the team-d strategy.

And yeah, people will say "well, it's not just the D, they need to score goals too", but they can't score goals without quality chances or the puck being in the defensive zone all night.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]