Thursday, February 14, 2008

Ottawa Rapids

Here's the logo of the new Can-Am baseball team, the Ottawa Rapids. I actually don't mind the name, I guess there's a tie-in there to the Rideau River (meh, maybe a stretch saying that) but whatever. What do Kings have anything to do with Los Angeles for instance? Anyway, Rapids: pretty close to bilingual (rapides), you think of the words fast, exciting, quick (in other words, the opposite of what baseball is all about) and another thing is that it's original; I'm not aware of any other sports teams having the same name.

Anyway, I hope the team takes off and Ottawa will forget the Lynx and give baseball a try again. I don't like seeing teams fail in this city and for once, maybe something outside of hockey will thrive.

(In case you care, here are some of the names I submitted for the "name the team" contest: Colonels, Gold, Silver, Diamonds, Red, Gladiators off the type of my head...I thought Colonels would have a good shot but no dice. Guess the mascot for this team might be a gigantic fish or something, or perhaps a man with a foam canoe....?).

p.s. Happy Valentine's Day. I celebrated the day with the adding of chocolate to milk.

Comments:
Kind of a bad and simple name but then again if fits for Ottawa as some of our rivers in the area make up some of the best white water in Canada.
 
Actually the MLS team in Colorado is called the rapids. But that's MLS, so does it really count as a sports team?

- N
 
Thanks for crediting me with the foam canoe mascot joke. :)

So, who's going to opening day? I am!
 
I'm probably going to go, should be good times! :-)
 
...and STILL no acknowledgement for stealing my joke!
 
That lame joke...with the foam canoe...all you Stan!
 
Yeah, it was kinda lame.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]