Sunday, February 24, 2008

Beckta

I don't usually treat myself to some fancy, expensive dining. But for my birthday, I made an effort to do so, for as you all know, SBP is usually always up to eating something.

So KKP organized a dinner reservation at Beckta's (which is literally just around the block from my place) several weeks ago. As a side note, when calling to confirm the reservation, KKP was told it was cancelled on Wednesday. NO ONE DID ANY SUCH THING! So, what else would you do except cry? That's what KKP did, and sure enough they decided to open up the private dinner room for all of us, which made a great evening even better. Very strange the cancellation happened to begin with, as they got a call on Wednesday around 2-3pm recorded on their PC that someone called in to cancel our reservation. But nonetheless, things still worked out.

So for an appetizer, I had the Rabbit Garganelli, which was a very tasty blend of asiago cheese, roasted garlic (organic, no less), mushrooms, pasta and a tangy sauce combined with some tender, yes, rabbit! After finishing, it was like I already had the main course as it was very satisfying, but there was more to come! I liked the options available on the menu because you could experiment with different items you never tried before, or if you wanted to lean towards "safer" choices you could and not worry about spoiling your meal. Well, I decided to lean towards safe and enjoyed the beef tenderloin. The key word in that is TENDER, because, mmm, it just melted in your mouth it was so good. And as a side, they served up chickpea frites which, crudely put, is like french fries except it's 10x more delicious. Again, more melt-in-your mouth goodness. It was also served with carrots, mushrooms with "truffle" butter, but I'll remember the chickpea frites the most.

So on to dessert, I had what got my attention as I perused the menu, which was the Chocolate Bombe, a rich, dark chocolate mousse that was also served with chocolate gelato. It was delicious, but it couldn't compare to what some others had, the salted caramel & chocolate torte. Now it doesn't sound appetizing (to me anyway), but it included the richest chocolate fudge cake which may be one of the tastiest I've ever sampled. If I ever go back, I'll go straight to that, for as you all know me, SBP likes his cake and that was one of the best!

I'm not a wine drinker so I just had a couple of beers, a Tom Collins and a tea to go with my dessert, they also capped off the meal with a white hot chocolate beverage which was really good but by then we had our fair share and were pretty full. With tip, the meal came to about $120 and I have to say, it was money well spent. The service was excellent and everyone enjoyed their meals. If you feel like treating yourself, Beckta is definitely worth your time!

Comments:
Glad you liked the place, BP.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]