Monday, January 07, 2008

Random SBP thoughts

- I just got back from playing my first indoor Ultimate game since a two-week break for the holidays. This is the only drawback to playing; some games end late and this means I'll likely not fall asleep until 1am or so. Can't exactly show up to work late tomorrow after just coming back from all those holidays!

- SBP screwjob: I signed up for indoor hockey and they told me there wasn't enough "individual" sign-ups to put together another team. They pointed out since I was one of the last people to sign up, I was cut. Who cares? I met the registration deadline. Nowhere did it say preference is given to those who sign up back in early December. The only reason for the delay was the 1% savings in GST! Boo.

- I got several emails from friends today telling me about the shenanigans at Sens practice where Ray Emery and Brian McGrattan got into fight. I've been sticking up for Ray while everyone has been throwing him under the bus, giving him the benefit of the doubt and trusting he's smart enough to stop his crap and get back to business. It's getting harder and harder for me to stick up for him lately, and this is one instance where I can't do it anymore. What's heartbreaking to is that I have no confidence in Martin Gerber to bring them the Cup. Ray is a competitor, he knows what it takes to get there and he was the one who tried to rally the team to come back from being down three games to one in the Cup final and believed they could do it. It's like he wants to be traded. And McGrattan should know better than to fight his own goalie. It's bad enough to fight your own teammate, but this is much, much worse.

- UFC fighter George St Pierre is coming to Local Heroes on Bank St and I'm hoping to meet him. I'm only a casual fan, but St Pierre is definitely someone Canada can be proud of and a rumoured UFC event heading to Montreal would blow the roof off the building, period.

- Oh, and I had to put this pic up of Alfie for losing his World Juniors bet with Eugene Melnyk. Alfredsson is practically Canadian anyway, and has said he's making Ottawa his permanent home after he retires:


Comments:
Still working on the GSP event, hopefully we'll have more info soon. Rumor is the date for UFC in Montreal is April 19th...... but that's just a rumor.
 
- Late night ulty sucks for exactly that reason.

- Um... how much does floor hockey cost? Even at $500, your delay for the GST savings was FIVE BUCKS. Most sports leagues do it first-come, first-served (OCUA does it that way too). I think the one who screwed SBP here is... SBP.

- Emery's antics paint him like a very self-centred kinda guy. Maybe he needs that kind of personality to play in nets, but it doesn't seem to be distracting the team all that much. I think it's pretty weak seeing his name in the paper all the time, but who cares so long as you guys're winning games?

- I have no comment on GSP, UFC or MMA, but I hope you're able to snag a ticket.

- Admit it, that's one of your top 5 favourite pictures of all time. I'm sure your fantasy went something like this: Alfie gets introduced in 2010 as part of Team Sweden, there's sounds of a tussle happening in the announcer's booth, "O Canada" starts to play, Pierre Maguire says on TSN "Waitasecond, that's CANADA'S MUSIC!" and then Alfie proceeds to rip off his Sweden jersey to reveal a Team Canada sweater underneath.
 
That'd be hilarious...then he'd take a chair and crack it over the head of Henrik Zetterberg or some other Swedish meatball. NICE! :-)
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]